Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost/Delayed Luggage A Complete Nightmare

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

Me and my boyfriend decided to take our first trip together to Vegas.  He left out of DEN and I left out of HOU on 8/9.  We arrived in Vegas that night at 10pm.  Imagine my worry when I first landed ,I got a text from him telling me that one of his bags was missing.  So when I finally made my way to baggage claim I could see already see the frustration on his face.  He told me that he had to file a claim for the missing bag. But oh it gets better, Here I am waiting at the baggage carousel for my bag.  Everyone on my flight received their bags except for me.  Seriously what is the odds??? So we are now in Vegas with absolutely nothing.  We had to take a lyft to Walmart just so we can have something for our personal hygiene. No one called to give a status. We had to call all around Southwest looking for a person who would pick up the phone to practically tell us nothing.

I didn't get my bag until Saturday!! Not Thursday, not Friday, but Saturday! We had reservations Friday night that we could not keep because we didn't have the proper clothing.  We had both bought new clothing ect for this trip.  And if I had repurchased all these items again and relied on the measly 50$ I would be broke in Vegas. So We was practically just limited to the hotel/resort the entire vacation.  My boyfriend's bag on day 5 and still have not been found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Like seriously how could a bag just disappear into thin air.  Thanks to SW Baggage handlers for ruining our trip! I feel bad because my boyfriend wanted to drive from Denver to Vegas but I talked him into getting this ticket. Thought it would be safer than him driving that far by himself. 

We are trying to do our trip again but I am not sure we will using SW again.  I know that every air carrier has their issues with lost/delayed luggage but at least with the others you can track your bags via their app. I think SW ways of  locating luggage is a little old school. But the level of customer service was poor to say the least.  No calls to at least let us know that the bags are being actively searched for ect.  Not to mention that my boyfriend had a lot of high end items in the bag.  This is like a never ending nightmare!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Lost/Delayed Luggage A Complete Nightmare

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@SHAWMIX7, that sounds amazingly terrible. 

I am no clothes hound, so nothing would have kept me in my hotel room.

I suggest you write in to customer service with all the details of the flight numbers, luggage tag numbers and the event that you missed.  

Southwest Airlines
P.O. Box 36647-1CR
Dallas, Texas 75235

They are in the best position to handle complaints, and I personally have found that calling is not as effective as writing.

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

Thanks for the address!!  I am currently drafting the letter now.

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

Emailed Customer Relations and just received a response back.  Nothing in the response back had to do with anything that I included in the email.  Just a blanketed statement.  Awesome to know as I am a travel agent.  Southwest will not be used with my clients going further. I am over it. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SHAWMIX7 wrote:

Emailed Customer Relations and just received a response back.  Nothing in the response back had to do with anything that I included in the email.  Just a blanketed statement.  Awesome to know as I am a travel agent.  Southwest will not be used with my clients going further. I am over it. 

Sorry to hear about your luggage problems.

Was your e-mail just a complaint or did you ask for something (compensatiion of some sort)?

If it was just a general complant, I'm not surpirised that you received some sort of form letter. Every airline receives bucket loads of general complaints, and has neither the time nor manpower to provide personal responses to every one of them.

If you didn't ask for something, I'd suggest that you try again.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@SHAWMIX7, In addition to @bec102896’s comments, I would suggest that you write with all the flight details, etc.  anyone can call or drop an email about something but a carefully thought out and posted letter gets more of a response because the recipient knows it took more time.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@SHAWMIX7 I agree with what both @CareforNOLA and @bec102896 both said, but @CareforNOLA is totally right. Showing the personal and human  side of any situation generally goes farther in my opinion. Telling your story and what you went through paints a more colorful picture than just a complaint like the thousands they receive every day. 

Good luck!  

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

No it wasn't just a complaint.  It was very specific to what we was requesting to remedy the issue.  I like how they just skipped totally over that part.  

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

I have a friend that's a host of a nationally syndicated morning radio show and she asked if I wanted her to share my story.  I told her no I wanted to take care of it first myself.  But now I am reconsidering. I know I am not the first or will be the last to lose their luggage with SW but I am frustrated with the customer service.  We have accepted the fact that the bag is gone and all his sentimental items are gone. That's life.  But I fly too much with SW and send over too many clients a month to receive this level of service.  Thanks for all the replies.  Much appreciated.  I will just call in. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry your bags were lost and it made your vacation un-enjoyable 

besides sending a letter or an email I would recommend reaching out to Southwest on Twitter or Facebook in a DM 

you could also try to call customer relations if you haven't already at 855-234-4654 

Hope your next travel experience is better than this one. 

Blake