Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Lost/Delayed Luggage A Complete Nightmare

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B
Solution

Hi Blake,

Actually social media was the first place I tried to contact someone.  I sent a DM on twitter,facebook,and Instagram when we was in the baggage office.  All responses was generic and not helpful.  I'll try calling.  Thanks.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SHAWMIX7 wrote:

Hi Blake,

Actually social media was the first place I tried to contact someone.  I sent a DM on twitter,facebook,and Instagram when we was in the baggage office.  All responses was generic and not helpful.  I'll try calling.  Thanks.

Hi again.

I'm going to suggest something that some here will disagree with: send the CEO  letter with copies of your attempts at communication as well as the responses from Southwest. He probbly won't actually see the letter, but your complaint will enter the food chain well above customer service.

At the very least, I can pretty well guarantee that you will receive a personal response to your letter.

The above is a tactic that I don't often use, but I do use it when I feel that customer service has not done it's job.  If Southwest customer service is not doing it's job, someone above them should be made aware of it.

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

Thanks dfwskier!!! I will definitely try that!! 

HEREBRANDY
Explorer C

I had my grandsons visit me and on his return flight Tuesday Aug. 14, 2018 we checked in 3 bags which the check-in agent accepted and placed on the belt in Ft Myers (RSW) heading to Oakland (OAK) with a stop in St Louis (no plane change). Upon arriving at Oakland only 2 bags were received. Its now Friday afternoon without any bag and only reply from the St Louis and Oakland airport are is that the bag report is in the system and just be calm. Having traveled for many years I have never lost a bag and when delayed the baggage folks at the airport have always been helpful.

Now its just "be calm and it will show up".

Is anyone doing anything to look at this and search the airports, flights and baggage areas to see if there are bags laying around ?  The bag has the boarding pass for the flight right inside so it is easy to identify.

Anyone have help on what can be done to move this deeper?

SHAWMIX7
Explorer B

In theory, yes they are supposed to look around for unclaimed bags.  But if you haven't heard back or the website doesn't show the missing bag as matched.  Then you might as well begin to file your claim.  After five days log on to bagclaim.southwest.com and with your incident number and it will give you instructions to file a claim.  I really think they stop looking after that 5th day.  

Luvtraveler72
Explorer C

Complete nightmare is an understatement. SW has the worst tracking system (it is actually nonexistent) and the worst baggage claim agents known to man. I work in customer service and if anyone one my staff handled incidents the way that these people have...they’d terminated immediately. They’re not helpful across the board, from the 1-800 baggage reps to the actual agents at the airport both are deplorable as it pertains to service. They’re only interested in over talking you and telling you it’s your fault as it was told to me. No one wants to take responsibility for losing my bag, but I’m the culprit...I cancelled my own I guess?!?!?! Unbelievable! Yesterday (8/21) my 10 am flight was cancelled from Midway to BWI and just about every other subsequent flight after that was cancelled leaving me to camp out in the airport all day and take a late evening flight. I asked if there were other alternatives and there were earlier flights heading to DCA, so I asked if that was an option and they said yes. So, I was booked and an “email” was sent to the folks who only handle retagging bags as I was told. The flight tO DC left at 1220, i rebooked before 830, so no one could pull and retag my ONE bag in 4 hours, seriously? Long story short, I get to Dca, no bag, filed the claim report and now I sit and wait as NO ONE on the SW customer service staff can help...again no tracking. They only scan when bags arrive apparently. I just got off of the phone with the DCA agents and the BWI agents saying my bag is being sent to DCA on a flight, really? Dca and Bwi are very close in travel proximity. However, DCA asks me if I’m requesting it be sent to them???? No idiot...that’s the arrangement you guys (SW) set up not me. I actually went to be Bwi last night as I had to get my car and waited for a couple of hours to see if my bags made it on any of the flights able to leave midway without cancellation. No bag, so I went home and decided to check the baggage claim site for updates. THis morning i check and my status said “Matched.” I have called DCA, BWI and SW directly and all were rude and not helpful. Look, sh— happens, I understand that. So, it’s not that the bag is delayed/lost it’s the lack of customer care that’s making this situation horrible. I use to give SW major props for good CS and pleasant travel experiences, but this coupled with a couple other minor incidents recently has completely changed my POV. I use SW for business and leisure...not anymore. Customers are clearly not the priority.