Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost baggage only 64% of value

sasaki
Explorer C

On August 8, Southwest lost our bag flying from PWM to STL. It was a large case holding 5 days of dirty laundry for our family of 5. I waited 5 days to file a claim and then painstakingly entered every item I could remember. Photos helped, but trying to remember the purchase location, date, and cost was a challenge. After exactly 30 days our claim was settled. Because we don’t have proof of purchase for the shorts, tshirts, and underwear purchased a year or two ago, Southwest decided we only deserve to be repaid 64% of the value of our items. The total of our original claim was $2552 and we’re receiving $1650. I just wanted to give others concrete figures, as I wasn’t able to find out how much they would depreciate our items.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Lost baggage only 64% of value

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Thanks for the info. I've recently read that unless you are very specific about brand, condition, and purchase price the depreciated value offered by airlines on most items is quite low. While it may not be what you wanted, the amount received seems rather high. Did you have any additional coverage offered by a credit card or other travel insurance? Those are definitely good options to have on future trips.

--TheMiddleSeat

em name Re: Lost baggage only 64% of value

dfwskier
Aviator A

Unfortunately many items depreciate faster than we think they do. For example, two year old golf clubs have lost half of their value.

You can do a web search to find out  how much items depreciate. I search for " how fast do (insert item name) depreciate? Using that search, it appears that men's shirts depreciate at 33.3% per year. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

They are not covering "replacement value" but "current value".

If you want replacement value, contact your homeowner insurance and tell them that you want replacement value on everything in the home, no deductible.

Then, when your premium triples, you are totally covered.

😜

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Some items of special value can be repurchased on ebay with the refund

sasaki
Explorer C

On August 8, Southwest lost our bag flying from PWM to STL. It was a large case holding 5 days of dirty laundry for our family of 5. I waited 5 days to file a claim and then painstakingly entered every item I could remember. Photos helped, but trying to remember the purchase location, date, and cost was a challenge. After exactly 30 days our claim was settled. Because we don’t have proof of purchase for the shorts, tshirts, and underwear purchased a year or two ago, Southwest decided we only deserve to be repaid 64% of the value of our items. The total of our original claim was $2552 and we’re receiving $1650. I just wanted to give others concrete figures, as I wasn’t able to find out how much they would depreciate our items,

https://routerlogin.uno/

I got this,...