Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Loyal Customer since 2012 all Southwest will give me is $39 dollars

ffre-5689
Explorer C

I have a loyal customer of Southwest since 2012 and a Rapid Rewards member since 2012. Your company has refused to re-issue me my travel voucher money (not even half!). I am a college student financing my education through loans.
I originally had to cancel my travel plans for the summer and wanted to reschedule but my current summer internship has also been cancelled.

All major travel airlines allow vouchers from the date cancelled not your policy.

My travel was cancelled on 5/17/19 for $119.50 and cancelled 7/15/2019 for $119.50 which is a total of $239.

I am asking your company to do right by customers who have been loyal to you and reinstate my money that I paid for! $239 might not be a big deal to you but as a college student who finances her education through loans that is a substantial fraction of my bank account that I am missing!

Doing "right" by your customers is not taking a $100 each ticket and only leaving me with $39 and calling that a solution. That is a slap in the face.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Loyal Customer since 2012 all Southwest will give me is $39 dollars

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hello,

You might want to read Southwest's latest policies. Travel funds that are to expire between now and September 7, 2020 are being given new expiration dates of September 7, 2022. 

You can read more here: 

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-1cddf1aa880580a9784fc1277348f98f-southwest-airlines-custom... 

Thanks,

Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffre-5689 wrote:

All major travel airlines allow vouchers from the date cancelled not your policy.

My travel was cancelled on 5/17/19 for $119.50 and cancelled 7/15/2019 for $119.50 which is a total of $239.

1) When did you buy your ticket? If it was AFTER February 28, 2019, you now have travel funds that are good thru 9/7/22.

2) Actually in 2019 all airlines based expiration of travel funds on the purchase date of the tickets. That only started changing last month due to the virus.

3) I must be missing something. Cancelled on two different date? Did you have two trips planned?.

ffre-5689
Explorer C

I booked Jan 23, 2019 which is not a significant amount of time from their feb. 2019 announcement. This is not right I have checked other top airlines and they all have date of travel for your voucher. I booked two tickets one for May and the other for August. 

The only solution is to take $200 dollars and leave me with $39. That is not right and not how you treat customers. I do not have money and $200 is significant amount of money to loss.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, your funds expired, one year from the original date of purchase. You lost all value when that happened.

Southwest may now reissue those funds as a voucher, but that is a special exception they are making, and the fee is $100 per fund.

Sorry.

Matt4202
Adventurer A
Spoiler
Why not just modify the reservations into usable flights?

Meaning -

Say you originally booked LAX -> LGA in May and return in July.

You could go online, modify that reservation to a usable one to any other locations and for different dates. Like LAX -> MCO or HOU or even a different departing airport and arrival airport.

Just a suggestion.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:
Spoiler
Why not just modify the reservations into usable flights?

Meaning -

Say you originally booked LAX -> LGA in May and return in July.

You could go online, modify that reservation to a usable one to any other locations and for different dates. Like LAX -> MCO or HOU or even a different departing airport and arrival airport.

Just a suggestion.

There is no reservation to modify.

His funds expired a year from the date of purchase. Jan 23, 2019 purchase = Jan 23, 2020 expiration. You can't use funds after they're expired. 

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Ah - My mistake I thought his travel was for May and July of this year and he had booked the travel well in advance with the funds expiring in January 2020. In that case he could’ve made a modification.

I mean you can do the Contact Us form to see if corporate will do anything for you but don’t hold your breath.