Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Loyal Southwest customer

booatx
Explorer B

So listen Southwest,

I personally think by and large the policy changes announced yesterday are great for a frequent traveler like myself, for the most part.  I would say that for the infrequent traveler some of the changes help quite bit by giving 2 years to use any credit earned.  With that being said, someone who travels maybe once every 2-3 years, or even less, may find any concession other than a refund not appealing.  In short, please think about something for those that planned a one time event that may never be rescheduled.  
I am going to add to my comment by throwing in the companion pass policy change.  The companion pass is understandably gained by flights, but also by points.  Trying to retain the companion pass now through either one of these means is going to be unbelievably difficult based on even the new requirements.  
to obtain the companion pass by flights means flying weekly.  To obtain the companion pass by points means spending to the tune of $125,000.  Neither one of those seems likely attainable in anyway for the majority.  Travel has almost ceased, and spending on anything other than essentials is non-existent.  
I know that a lot of time and effort goes into adjusting policies, and planning for a companies future.  I only ask that you consider these limitations as you further plan for the future of the Southwest community.  
Thanks,

A-lister, and companion pass holder

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Loyal Southwest customer

bec102896
Aviator A

I would share your feedback with southwest directly though one of these options: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint  this way they Southwest can pass on the suggestion to the appropriate people. 

With the changes Southwest made yesterday people could earn the companion pass with only 100,000 qualifying points this year or 75 flights because of the recent change they made. 

-Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I would share your feedback with southwest directly though one of these options: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint  this way they Southwest can pass on the suggestion to the appropriate people. 

With the changes Southwest made yesterday people could earn the companion pass with only 100,000 qualifying points this year or 75 flights because of the recent change they made. 

-Blake

I think it is typical as well for CP to be earned with a hybrid of flights and spending, so it doesn't have to be all one or the other. Actually it would be ridiculous for someone to earn it solely by spending without flying any flights - why would that person want companion pass?

I'm sure there are some out there flying the needed flights alone, but I don't expect many people do it only by spending.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

booatx
Explorer B

Of course someone with a companion pass is flying.  I am both CP holder, and A-List.  The reality is that the number of points earned from flying is minimal for CP.  I am either earning it through spending coupled with the low amount of points from my 35 flights a year or not at all.  
Even with business, I would never fly 100 flights a year.  I suspect there are a great many of us in that boat. 
Given how this pandemic has played out, I suspect even those that have been able to fly 100 flights with Southwest are not likely to get close to that.  Depending on how long this plays plays out, the benefit this offers is quite non-linear across the board.  
I am a Southwest diehard, and will likely continue to be for some time, but I am also a vocal customer when I see something that may not add up.  
I posit that SWA wanted to wait this out a bit longer, but impatient customers forced them to come up with a handout a bit early.  I realize other airlines were giving offerings, but I believe they are all a touch early considering no one truly knows how long all of this will drag out.  
Lonnell