Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Luggage filled with water

DLRB
Explorer C

This weekend my family and I flew from LAX to San Jose. When we got to our hotel and opened our three pieces of checked luggage we found the contents completely soaked. The hotel did not have a dryer, so we had to wring out our clothes and hang them in our hotel room with the heater full blast overnight. Our shoes, wool clothing (dress pants and sweaters) silk garments, leather goods, electronics (iPad, hair clippers/razors, CPAP), and textbooks were all damaged.

What a way to start a family vacation.

Has this happened to anyone else? What course of action did you take? Were you satisfied with the results?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Luggage filled with water

floridaguy
Aviator C

Start by filing a damage claim with Southwest.  I would have no idea why everything would be soaked unless it rained at your origin or destination and the bags were outside for a long time.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Start by filing a damage claim with Southwest.  I would have no idea why everything would be soaked unless it rained at your origin or destination and the bags were outside for a long time.

It seems unlikely to have completely waterlogged your items but if another passenger has some liquid in their luggage that leaks out damage can occur that way.

Were you in a rainstorm along the way? I'm at a loss how else your luggage could end up completely submerged like that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Sorry to hear about your experience, definitely stinks.

I've watched my soft sided luggage become soaked in rainstorms more than once from the window of the plane, or knowing it was pouring rain when we landed I've collected my bags at baggage claim soaked through and through.

I don't know there's much to do? I do know I would never place electronics in checked baggage, (if for no other reason the batteries are likely lithium and by rule prohibited by most every airline from being in a chacked bag. They ask on check in and I believe you agree when you buy your ticket to comply with this rule.)

I wish you good luck with your claim on damages to the clothes and books. Doubt you will get any traction on electronics that should not have been in the checked bag to start with.

Safe Travels 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DLRB wrote:

Our shoes, wool clothing (dress pants and sweaters) silk garments, leather goods, electronics (iPad, hair clippers/razors, CPAP), and textbooks were all damaged.

Has this happened to anyone else? What course of action did you take? Were you satisfied with the results?

You are allowed to bring a CPAP machine onboard without counting it as one of your two carry-on items. Throw the iPad in there too next time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.