Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Luggage

Ereyesjo
Explorer C

I know SW allows 2 bags per pd ticket up to 50lbs each and no bigger than 62” each bag question.... will I get charged the extra $75 if I only take 1bag no more than 50lbs. but it’s 67”??

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Luggage

dfwskier
Aviator A

That is certainly possible.

It depends how closely the person accepting your checked bag is paying attention.

You might get lucky -- or not.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

If outdoor check in is available at your airport I’d use that and leave a $2 tip. They tend to be more lenient. I had a 52lb bag and was about to repack when they just said, Ah that’s fine don’t worry about it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ereyesjo wrote:

I know SW allows 2 bags per pd ticket up to 50lbs each and no bigger than 62” each bag question.... will I get charged the extra $75 if I only take 1bag no more than 50lbs. but it’s 67”??

If you are brining a more or less standard suitcase it probably won't be scrutinized for a few excess inches. 

Luggage that stands out for being oddly shaped may be more likely to garner a review.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

If you are brining a more or less standard suitcase it probably won't be scrutinized for a few excess inches. 

Luggage that stands out for being oddly shaped may be more likely to garner a review.

Hopefully there's no brining going on, I don't think that will help make it taste any better 😜, but yes, as long as it's a standard suitcase no one will check sizing. Boxes, crates, etc might be questioned and checked.

--TheMiddleSeat