Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Luv Voucher Issued without request

joesilva
Explorer C

Hello,

I had sent in a email to customer service several days before travel funds expired asking information on if extension could be made to travel credits.  After not hearing back in a timely manner I phoned into the main support line and spoke with a representative.   I informed them of my email inquiry/case number and explained the situation.  She walked me through the Luv voucher option and although it took a #100 from each ticket I didn't loose the $1000 + credit.  When she explained the request processes and 6 month expiration date this credit fell outside of my future(and families) future travel date.  When what other options where on the table she informed me that it was 6months from the request date and I should call back in 6 months before my desired travel date to send in the request process.   Keep in mind all of this was prior to my travel credit expiration and the rep stated several times that even if I wanted to make the request that day, she couldn't do that.

Fast forward 20ish days later and I at an automated email from Southwest saying my Luv vouchers where being processed and I should get them emailed shortly.  I was confused because I had not filed my request yet.  Later that afternoon vouchers where emailed to me with an expiration date that was not in my future travel window.  So I phone Southwest and after hours on hold the rep directed me to call another customer service line.  The hours to get in contact where tricking and all and all I spent about 6hrs over several phone calls trying to get ahold of them.  After I explained the situation to the rep he informed me that this would need to go to a hire level and they would place me on a call back list. 

24 hours later I received a call back.  After explaining the situation to the manager I was denied an explanation as to why travel credits where issued without my consent.  I was told that because of my inquiry email sent prior to the expiration date and because the agent I spoke to did not log any notes in my case number, automation took place and Southwest employees proceeded to convert these expired travel funds into Luv credits, even though the request was never placed by me.  Further more I was told I was lucky to be given these funds and that Southwest was doing me a favor by issuing these Luv vouchers without my consent.

The facts of the case are this.

- Luv vouchers where issued based of an email inquire sent prior to the funds expiring and with no formal request to do this.

-Southwest representative failed to log notes on case number causing automation(that should not be in place) to happen.

The wrong is very clear and the resolution is simple.  All I asked for was to allow me to place the Luv credit request when I wanted to request it. This would have allowed me to use it on my terms and make it possible for these credits to fall within my future travel dates.  Southwest customer service refused to right this wrong all while acknowledging the facts.

Don't need to get two personal here but all of this travel was booked for my wedding.  Now I am doing everything possible find the money to get my Brides mother and two sisters enough money to book tickets for the wedding.

10+ hours on the phone 

Anyone else think this is ridiculous?    

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Luv Voucher Issued without request

bec102896
Aviator A

So the date you are wanting to travel is more than 6 months from now? Keep in mind the LUV voucher can be used to book a flight for anyone so you could book the flight for your brides mother and 2 sisters as long as the travel is complete by the expiration date. If 1 half of the trip falls before the expiration date you can book one way flights to use the travel funds on the outbound flight. 

You sent the airline an email asking for an extension they gave you one. Sorry if it's not good enough or if you feel they should go back and fourth a couple extra times to see if you like the solution they gave you. My guess is when the representative got to the email the funds were expired so they read it as I'd like an extension and that's what they did. Had they gotten to your email before the funds expired they would tell you to email again when they expire the problem there is if they say that most would be unhappy that they have to reach out again and unfortunately the airline can't win in this case because if they help like you asked and your not happy they lose and if they say try again later they lose. 

Maybe you can find somewhere to go in the next 6 months or gift the voucher to a friend if you can't use it. 

-Blake

joesilva
Explorer C

Yes funds are out of travel date.

Email was sent inquiring what happens to expired travel funds.  At not point did I request a Luv voucher.  Additionally email was sent before funds where expired.

Because SW email automation and a travel agent not logging notes in a ticket I get the burden of the mistake, loosing over a thousand dollars.

Customer service agent acknowledged all of this and still would not make right the wrongs that where made.  

Unacceptable and not way to treat customers.

dfwskier
Aviator A

For future reference:

You DID NOT need to request a voucher immediately upon expiration of the travel fund.

SW gives you six months from the expiration date to do so.

Doing this at 5 months would have given you 11 months after the expiration date to use the voucher. At 6 months you would have have a year.

joesilva
Explorer C

Yes agreed which is what I intended on doing.

Because of SW ticket automation and a booking agent not logging notes my email sent prior to funds expiring asking what happens to expired funds go interpreted as I need Luv vouchers now.  Even after speaking with a rep prior to expiring and her acknowledging my ticket number and advising that I call back requesting funds at a later date(keep in mind that I still could not request these funds because they where not expired at the time we spoke).

Lack of communication form SW and email automation screwed me and issued vouchers way to early.  

Customer service acknowledge the facts and refused to make it right. All it would take to fix this issue would be to let me request the funds when I want to request the funds.

Not a hard fix.

bec102896
Aviator A

You could always reach out again and maybe that new representative you get will understand and might be able to do something different. 

Another thought maybe you could book a flight with the voucher and when you cancel you will have a travel fund and maybe 6 months down the road once that travel fund expires you can call with that new travel fund asking for a voucher minus the $100. I have no idea if it would work or not and sure if it worked you would lose another $100 but maybe you could then use the funds. I don't think they will extend a LUV voucher so that's why I say book a new flight. 

-Blake

joesilva
Explorer C

I will try to contact them again to see if I get a customer service rep who actually want to retain business.   Can't wait to spend another 3hrs on hold.

If I get denied again then last ditch would be to try the book and cancel method.