Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Luv Vouchers expire 05-02-21 -Can I give them away?

Tworkalot
Explorer C

In Nov 2020, wE received 2 Luv Vouchers ($352 each) from expired Travel Funds. When we reached out to Customer Service last Friday to see if we could extend them since I still have medical issues keeping me from getting my Covid vaccine, we were told no but the vouchers could be used by friends/family. Until Tuesday (when we heard back from Customer Service), we did not realize the Luv Vouchers could be used by anyone. We have never had vouchers before - only travel funds.  So we have spent the past 2 days trying to find friends/family that could travel on short notice since the return trip needs to be done by 5/1.  No luck so far. I hate to see the $353 each Luv Voucher go to waste. I read the vouchers cannot be sold, and I understand that. But can we give them away?  Is there a place I could post them for a soldier to use them or another place to find someone who could use them?   I know this is short notice. We honestly did not realize anyone could use the vouchers or we would have used them already for our kids -instead of cash.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated since timing is of the essence!  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Luv Vouchers expire 05-02-21 -Can I give them away?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Tworkalot wrote:

In Nov 2020, wE received 2 Luv Vouchers ($352 each) from expired Travel Funds. When we reached out to Customer Service last Friday to see if we could extend them since I still have medical issues keeping me from getting my Covid vaccine, we were told no but the vouchers could be used by friends/family. Until Tuesday (when we heard back from Customer Service), we did not realize the Luv Vouchers could be used by anyone. We have never had vouchers before - only travel funds.  So we have spent the past 2 days trying to find friends/family that could travel on short notice since the return trip needs to be done by 5/1.  No luck so far. I hate to see the $353 each Luv Voucher go to waste. I read the vouchers cannot be sold, and I understand that. But can we give them away?  Is there a place I could post them for a soldier to use them or another place to find someone who could use them?   I know this is short notice. We honestly did not realize anyone could use the vouchers or we would have used them already for our kids -instead of cash.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated since timing is of the essence!  

Officially, Vouchers can't be sold, but you can absolutely give them to anyone. Perhaps post to your extended friends on social media and see if anyone is interested in a last-minute trip?

If you're absolutely unable to get anyone to use them, there may be a possible solution, but I'm not positive it will work. Book a flight using the vouchers, then cancel that flight. Once the resulting Travel Funds expire, reach out to Customer Relations and ask if they can be reissued a Voucher (for a fee of $100). Again, I'm not even sure if Southwest would do this for you or not -- so this should only bee seen as a last resort.

(If you do this, be aware that you have 6 months from expiration in which to make the request, and if granted the Voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue.)

Good luck!

Tworkalot
Explorer C

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately your option provided to book a flight and then cancel will do work. I asked that to the Customer Service agent and they said the “travel funds” will take on the same expiration date as the vouchers - which will be May 5th. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Tworkalot wrote:

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately your option provided to book a flight and then cancel will do work. I asked that to the Customer Service agent and they said the “travel funds” will take on the same expiration date as the vouchers - which will be May 5th. 

Just to be clear: Yes, the expiration date would not change. (Bookings take on the earliest expiration date of any funds or vouchers applied.) My suggestion was to try again to have the newly resulting expired funds converted to a Voucher. (Which, again, may not be something Southwest would be willing to do.)

bec102896
Aviator A

Maybe you can give the voucher to a person on the front lines who might like a weekend getaway before the voucher expires or if you know anyone at a local church that could use them. 

If you still can't find anyone who wants it I'm sure another person here might like it. 

Tworkalot
Explorer C

I have reached out to the National Guard in our state and they are helping me find someone to donate the vouchers to. Hoping to hear back tomorrow.   Thank you for your suggestions!