Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

MSDS for Disinfectants

sycamorepro
Explorer B

Where can we find a copy of MSDS for the disinfectants that are being used on SWA flights? While I greatly appreciate the attention paid to trying to protect passengers and crew from bacteria and viruses, we should do so with caution as consumers and not just follow blindly. SWA is a responsible organization and I’m quite certain they performed due diligence on disinfecting that required longitudinal  cohort studies for any chemical that is applied in their aircraft. We certainly  don’t want unintended long term consequences. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: MSDS for Disinfectants

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I imagine you could write a letter to the Southwest corporate office and request more information. Do you ask for MSDS any time you use a public restroom or stay in a hotel? 

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I like your rebuttal!!!!!!!!!!!  But I think in this case I could argue both sides.  I can take my own bottle of cleaner into a restroom or hotel, but I am at the mercy of the airlines on a flight.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Taking your own cleaner into a hotel room does not eliminate the chemicals used to clean the room prior to you entering it. My point is we are surrounded by cleaning chemicals everywhere we go so why the worry about one environment and not another?

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

One difference is that the "electrostatic disinfectant and anti-microbial spray" Southwest uses claims to "form an anti-microbial coating" that sticks to the surfaces for 30 days. One hopes the chemicals used for this, as well as for new disinfecting/general cleaning, have been well vetted. But given the speed with which the systems were adopted, and as a person who suffers from some chemical sensitivity, it does give me pause. Perhaps Southwest will make info available regarding the human impact of the chemicals/systems used, as this might help address customer concern.

sycamorepro
Explorer B

That is correct. Most people don’t understand either that when the testing is done on these chemicals, it is done so in somewhat of a vacuum and by the manufacturers reps. The concern is that a well meaning environmental services team member has little training and may over apply, etc. The MSDS sheets are for measured amounts. Hopefully, the training has been great, people pay careful attention when applying, adequate time is given to dry, etc.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Agree 100%.  Thus why I said I could argue both sides to this one.   

sycamorepro
Explorer B

We as a Nation settle for the fact that the EPA/USDA/ETC are on our side. As someone who spent eight years lobbying for various projects in DC, I have seen firsthand that they don’t. No, Middleseat, I don’t ask for MSDS in the bathrooms. That is not a great argument if you have a healthcare background. Why should we blindly follow what people are telling us when their ultimate motivation is profit? I don’t have a problem with profit but I do have a problem with not counting long term “costs” to make a profit. I found the MSDS for what SWA is using and it does cause some concern but I see no other way around it because my trips require that I fly. Planes have always been Petri dishes with wings. I understand that and make the decision to fly. It doesn’t mean that I will blindly follow as a sheep when I see people dressed in E.T. extraction team garb walking around spraying chemicals everywhere and then I get the wink and the nod that it’s safe for me to board.