Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Mask Exception - Asthma - Forced to apologize

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CarolTravels wrote:

I just cancelled my flight because I am hearing from friends who have been on planes recently that wearing a mask is not being enforced.  So people board the plane wearing a mask, but flight attendants are not enforcing the rule once the flight takes off.   

Perhaps you can tell the airline what it should do when ,after take off, passengers remove their masks. I suspect your answer is something like "have the FA tell the passengers to put their masks on."  But what if they say "no." What would you have the airline do?

Besides, SW is now serving snacks and water on flights. People eating and drinking have to remove masks to do so.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@CarolTravels wrote:

I just cancelled my flight because I am hearing from friends who have been on planes recently that wearing a mask is not being enforced.  So people board the plane wearing a mask, but flight attendants are not enforcing the rule once the flight takes off.   

Perhaps you can tell the airline what it should do when ,after take off, passengers remove their masks. I suspect your answer is something like "have the FA tell the passengers to put their masks on."  But what if they say "no." What would you have the airline do?

Besides, SW is now serving snacks and water on flights. People eating and drinking have to remove masks to do so.

I'd like to see Southwest take a similar hard-line approach as Alaska has.

We want you to have a great flight with us – with your mask on

warning.jpg

Gobrenda3
Explorer C

Stop with all the “you’re endangering people’s lives if you don’t wear a mask”. I’ve never heard such ignorant comments in my life!! You can’t make people sick UNLESS YOURE SICK!  Covid has a very high SURVIVAL rate!! Hardly anyone dies from it - only 10,000 out of 300 MILLION and I bet those 10,000 have all been over 90!  This is bullcrap!  So PlEASE STOP saying masks save lives. Or if you have asthmas and can’t wear a mask - then you shouldn’t travel at all because you’re killing someone else with your germs. Oh my heck- the ignorance is unbelievable!  Covid isn’t a magical virus. You must have it in order to transmit it!  READ THE fACTS. Masks should NeVER be forced. That’s anti freedom and against the constitution!   The airlines should NOT require this!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Gobrenda3

Clearly someone has never heard of asymptomatic carriers, but otherwise, nice try. 

Screenshot_20200925-211718_Google.jpg

--TheMiddleSeat

PopT
Explorer C

Being empathetic, I feel bad for the situation you found yourself in. I am not myself asthmatic but my sister is, so I understand how you must have felt trying to catch your breath and keep from having an attack.

That said, I will also say that you and Martha seem to be 2 peas from similar pods. Honestly and this is just my opinion... Finding yourself in that situation and then encountering Martha and her attitude... Your sole focus should have been doing what was necessary for you to get down the ramp and into the plane so YOU COULD better your breathing and avoid the attack. Instead, you chose to fire back at Martha and found yourself further delayed at which point you once again chose to continue  to meet Martha head on. In any other situation not involving your health I'd say, 'Have at Martha if you choose". In this case, NOT THE TIME TO DO SO! If you were as close to that attack as you said, I'd like to know what you thought you were accomplishing by calling Martha a B#@%&. What if there was another person with Asthma with a later Boarding # and they were just wanting to do the same? To get on the plane and reach the Air Vent? Your choice of action delayed them from boarding sooner. I'm not a rocket scientist, but common sense is common sense. I hope if this ever happens to you in the future, you will take the high road and simply do what you must in order to take care of yourself. You can always file that complaint afterwards, once you've taken care of yourself.  And, if I may add... It will probably get a better reaction all the way around, including Southwest Airlines. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Ajayshetty
Explorer C

Really sorry to hear that.That would have allowed  to pass through departures and the gate without wearing a mask, but the airlines had their own individual policies once a passenger was on board.