Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mask Exemptions Covered by the Air Carrier Access Act as well as the Civil Rights Act (1964)

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

Hello,

I tried posting this earlier, but for whatever reason (perhaps a glitch?) it didn't post, and so I'm going to try it again. For the sake of this post and to keep everything concise, let's just assume that there's a pathogenic virus called the SARS-CoV-2 spreading and causing the disease known as COVID-19 since that's the mainstream narrative.

1) Even from an allopathic, mainstream viewpoint...there is no valid scientific or medical evidence necessitating the use of face masks. Most people wear cloth or paper masks, and the pores in these masks are simply too large to filter out viral particles. Masks can block water droplets, but viral particles can still spread due to the pores in masks being too large. 

2) Even in healthy individuals, masks (of all types) significantly reduce oxygen saturation, increase cortisol levels, and put the body in a sympathomimetic state. This lack of oxygen intake causes the T-lymphocyte production to go down, weakens the immune system, and increases the chances of contamination, not to mention hypoxic injury. 

In addition to all of that, when you're wearing your mask, you're re-breathing your own CO2 and this causes the polypropylene components of your cloth mask to break down, resulting in unnecessary exposure to toxins. 

3) Pertaining to individuals who suffer from conditions involving chronic hypoxia (e.g. cancer, Alzheimer, asthmatic patients, etc.), the lack of oxygen intake aggravates the aforementioned medical condition(s) and so in plain and simple English, this is something you want to avoid. 

When you force these people to wear masks despite knowing that they have an issue which prevents them from being able to do so, you are violating the Air Carrier Access Act. And no, going without masks does not make a passenger a "safety issue" because masks INCREASE the odds of contamination. 

4) Do you really think that the virus doesn't infect you if you're sitting about half an inch away from your neighbor, but does infect you if you accidentally break social distancing guidelines while either entering or exiting the plane? Do you really think that the virus doesn't infect you if enter a plane without wearing a mask, but does infect you if your mask is off while sitting down, but not if you're eating and drinking so long as the mask it put back on between bites? 

No pathogen is that smart or wily. 

5) If the goal is proper hygiene, then why not make passengers wear gloves? Why allow canines on the plane? A dog's concept of hygiene is much different from that of a human. Speaking of canines, why aren't dogs made to wear masks? If you wouldn't harass your dog about wearing a mask, then why harass paying human customers about doing so?

The immune system works the same way in all higher mammalian species, and dogs need oxygen just as much as we humans do. 

6) In many religions, men and women are encouraged not to cover their faces. Forcing them to do otherwise is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. 

Please do not use "fact-checkers" or fraudulent scientific and medical articles to refute what I said, because straw men and dishonesty do not constitute a proper rebuttal. Facts do.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Mask Exemptions Covered by the Air Carrier Access Act as well as the Civil Rights Act (1964)

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

Even N95 masks do MUCH more harm than good, for many of the reasons outlined above. Regardless of the type of mask, the point here is that there is nothing in the scientific or medical literature necessitating their use. Just for kicks, feel free to explore some of the studies yourself:

1) https://www.realfoodhouston.com/wp-files/dr-arthur-firstenbergs-research-on-medical-face-masks/

2) https://vaccinechoicecanada.com/wp-content/uploads/masks-dont-work-denis-rancourt-april-2020.pdf 

I've seen ALL the "fact-checkers," OSU and UCSF articles which claim that two over two is five, etc. etc. The dishonesty or inaccuracy of these sources doesn't invalidate any of the above studies compiled on either of the two websites.  

Yes, I get that flight attendants, gate agents, pilots, airport officers, and other taxpayer-funded employees (don't forget that airlines received a GIANT taxpayer bailout earlier this year) enjoy going on power trips because it makes them feel good about themselves. Yes, I concede that the FAA has given airlines a tremendous amount of power, especially in the post 9/11 era where we're witnessing a monopoly on domestic (and much of international) travel. Yes, I concede that even tarmac rule violations are rarely ever penalized by the FAA. The government is on your side. 

However, even the most powerful individuals have to obey certain laws in a civilized society, and Southwest is violating the Air Carrier Access Act as well as the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Re: Mask Exemptions Covered by the Air Carrier Access Act as well as the Civil Rights Act (1964)

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hmmm, who should I believe?  The CDC and many infectious disease experts or

Dr. Arthur Firstenberg (why do we call him Dr? It seems that according to wikipedia, he did not complete medical school: "Born May 28, 1950, in Brooklyn, New York, Firstenberg was a Westinghouse scholar who received a BA in mathematics from Cornell University in 1971 and continued into medical school from 1978 to 1982. Firstenberg did not complete medical school."

Heck even he admits as much on his realfoodshouston page when he says "DISCLAIMER: I am not a health practitioner. The information on this website is for your information only and is not intended to substitute for the advice provided by your doctor or other health care professional."

Oh, and that other guy from the second linked article: Denis G. Rancourt, PhD. It seems that he isn't a medical doctor either.  He's just a  Researcher, for the Ontario Civil Liberties Association.

So who are we to believe: medical doctors who are infectious disease experts, or people that don't even have medical degrees and by law are not allowed to be medical practitioners?

It seems the answer to that question should be obvious.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You were posting the same nonsense a month ago - again referring to Dr.Firsetenberg as well as another so called expert. Here were my replies to that post:

"

Re: Southwest kicked an autistic three year old off a flight because he would not keep a mask on.

dfwskier_1-1608750046323.png

dfwskier 
TOP CONTRIBUTOR

hmmm, who should I believe

Jim Meehan, MD (opthamlogist, and not infectious diseases)

https://americanloons.blogspot.com/2018/03/1989-jim-meehan_31.html

or the CDC ?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/15/fact-check-cdc-report-masks-covid-19-tests-...

decisions, decisions ...

Re: Southwest kicked an autistic three year old off a flight because he would not keep a mask on.

dfwskier_3-1608750046417.png

dfwskier 
TOP CONTRIBUTOR

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier Good catch, I thought this was familiar.  And I'm sure the response will still be the same. 

@PetertheProphet Good try to reinvent the wheel.  But as I hoped I might have posted previously, EVEN IF, all you stated was close to being true, it's never been said that wearing a mask would prevent and eliminate the virus and its spread.  It's been all about slowing the spread, which is what EVIDENCE does show, in about 50 medical articles, that it does help.  And again, washing hands and staying 6 feet or more away from people, and staying away from large gatherings, was AND STILL IS, about slowing and controlling the spread. I could go on, but I'm sure you will repost again in a month, so I will pick it up then.  I just ask, try and add some new material on your next post.   

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

But Southwest isn't attempting to "slow the spread." Notice how they're filling up middle seats and not planning on increasing the size of their seats anytime soon. If they TRULY wanted to "slow the spread" (even by allopathic standards), they wouldn't be so inconsistent. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Is there a way to just flag this entire thread as garbage? 

--TheMiddleSeat

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

And I like I said earlier, even IF they were quacks, it wouldn't render their citations irrelevant.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Nor would the fact that it's been over 2 months since you first posted this and they haven't found that the citations merit a change in policy, even with time for additional data.  In fact, it's now a national mandate.  I don't see SWA being inconsistent, they have done exactly what federal guidelines have directed them to do.  I've seen far more data of other airlines having removed and banned passengers from flying than I have SWA.  Just wear a mask, it isn't that hard, or just don't fly.  You seem like an educated man, if you're going to continue to be frustrated, invest in a new car and drive and be happy.  I'm pissed too because it's the population of Ken's and Karen's that won't just wear a mask, wash, and keep their distance when applicable.  Here is one for you.  I'm a runner, when I'm running I pull my mask off until I'm within a distance of someone, I pull it up.   I also when available, go out of my way to stay 6 feet, when I can't (when it's not applicable) I run by them.  If they don't have a mask, I even turn around and go the other way.  Yes, it's on me, but what's the big deal.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We appreciate everyone here sharing their thoughts.

As this thread has become heated, I'm dropping in a friendly reminder that everyone on the Community is expected to follow the Golden Rule. We welcome all Community Members to engage with the content we find here, as long as it is respectful and on-topic, and we encourage everyone to refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines.

Additionally, remember, not all advice is sound advice. While Members and Employees will do their best to help each other out, it is possible for information provided in the Community to be wrong, incomplete, or not applicable to your specific situation. Always apply good judgment and feel free to seek information from official sources.

Regarding the Air Carrier Access Act, Southwest is fully aware of all laws and regulations protecting passengers with disabilities. We are active in the airline industry in sharing best practices about how best to accommodate passengers with disabilities. If you have a disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that prevents you from wearing a mask, but still wish to travel: Southwest is currently finalizing steps for a Customer to take to apply for a disability-related exemption from the mask requirement. The first date Southwest would allow a Customer with an exemption to travel is March 21.

We continue to evaluate our policies and procedures based on public health guidance and advice from medical and aviation organizations. With the Southwest Promise, we’re committed to supporting the well-being of our Employees and Customers by requiring face coverings; using HEPA air filters onboard (similar to the technology found in hospitals); and applying both an electrostatic disinfectant and an antimicrobial spray on every surface of the aircraft, killing viruses on contact and forming anti-microbial coating that lasts for 30 days.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager