Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mask Mandate Lifted

TravelingMama
Explorer C

With the mask mandate lifted today I may have to cancel travel plans with my baby. I fully support peoples decision to wear a mask or not for their own reasons, but we don’t have a choice in my circumstance and sitting so close to other people not wearing masks is extremely dangerous for my baby. I would love to see Southwest implement a policy where people who chose to wear a mask can easily sit together in one area of the plane and not be forced to sit near someone who doesn’t want to wear a mask. I wonder how many families will be deciding not to travel on planes due to the mask mandate being lifted. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Mask Mandate Lifted

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're welcome to submit your suggestions directly to Southwest.  Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

TravelingMama
Explorer C

I will! Thank you for the suggestion! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TravelingMama wrote:

With the mask mandate lifted today I may have to cancel travel plans with my baby. 

So, how do you plan to get to your destination since every major airline plus Amtrak has dropped the mandate?

I guess you could drive.

TravelingMama
Explorer C

We don’t have many options. For now we either drive or don’t travel at all. We will try to keep tabs on airlines that may offer other solutions in the coming days, weeks and months. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TravelingMama wrote:

With the mask mandate lifted today I may have to cancel travel plans with my baby. I fully support peoples decision to wear a mask or not for their own reasons, but we don’t have a choice in my circumstance and sitting so close to other people not wearing masks is extremely dangerous for my baby. I would love to see Southwest implement a policy where people who chose to wear a mask can easily sit together in one area of the plane and not be forced to sit near someone who doesn’t want to wear a mask. I wonder how many families will be deciding not to travel on planes due to the mask mandate being lifted. 

How many people are in your group? If it is just the two of you traveling and the baby is a lap child, you are pretty certain to be sitting next to someone if the flight is full.

This would be difficult with the baby but if you did absolutely have to fly, you can try to find late-night options that aren't full which might help but you still never know if some meeting or event happens that day and suddenly an often empty route gets full.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TravelingMama
Explorer C

There are three of us. There aren’t tickets left to purchase my 12 month old his own seat so we can be at least in our own row but honestly rows behind and in front worry me almost as much as people next to us. Hoping for an appeal to the judge’s decision or some more helpful policies from other airlines. In the meantime we are gearing up to drive instead of fly. 

bec102896
Aviator A

You could always do that double or triple mask that some do 

TravelingMama
Explorer C

Sure I can do that but my 12 month old won’t wear a mask at all. His doctors say it’s not safe for him to wear a mask even if he would wear one.