Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mask Optional Flights #Masksoptional

SouthwestFlyer1
Explorer C

I am proposing that airlines start to offer Mask Optional Flights for people who are not able to wear masks for long periods of time. These people have been currently marginalized by society and aren't able to go shopping, fly, travel, and live everyday life as well as people who can handle masks.  There are many different reasons people aren't able to wear masks, but these people haven't been able to travel in nearly a year. 

I am sure there are at least 2 pilots and enough crew to handle mask optional flights and allow people who have been marginalized by society to fly again. Also, vaccines should not be mandatory for these flights. Masks and vaccines can be recommended, but remain optional. 

I know that the federal aviation authority has mandated masks for all flights, but as we near the end of the pandemic, it is time to rethink that mandate and allow options for those unable to wear masks for long periods of time to fly again. If you want to truly be inclusive, mask optional flights should be a serious consideration. 

Thank you SouthWest for considering all options. 

Signed,

a 14-year southwest cardholder 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Mask Optional Flights #Masksoptional

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

You should direct this plea request to Southwest customer service. The mask requirement is from the FAA .

Either way, Trust Science and statistics, Masks and Vaccines work 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Talk to your federal representatives, Southwest only enforces what the federal government decides.  Currently, there is no option for any airline to implement mask free flights.

--TheMiddleSeat

SouthwestFlyer1
Explorer C

Thanks, I will do that but I think it is also important to spread awareness of all the people being marginalized and unable to fly that may need to. 

SouthwestFlyer1
Explorer C

This is to spread awareness.  Its not about not wanting to wear a mask, but for medical reasons can't. There are many people being marginalized. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@SouthwestFlyer1 Yes, yes. We've heard it before many times. My heart is barely able to beat. If I wear a mask, my blood oxygen drops to zero, leading to instant brain damage/death.

Honestly, if your lungs are in such poor shape that you can't wear a mask, you should stay at home. There is a serious respiratory virus circulating, and it sounds like you would die if you got it.

Meanwhile, my 74 year old mother who has pulmonary hypertension that went undiagnosed for years leading to severe pulmonary fibrosis wears a mask and has gotten a vaccine. She can't walk any distance at all without her oxygen level dropping into the low 70's, and she's on constant oxygen, and she wears a mask without dying.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....

I just noticed SWA does allow for folks with REAL medical restrictions to apply for a mask exemption, but the "Because I say so" excuse will not fly here. Paperwork and a pre flight interview are required to weed out the BS.

Ktclower
Explorer C

I support this! Masks should be optional! If you are fearful/high risk then you are welcome to wear any protection you need to but it should be OPTIONAL. 

Losabos
Explorer C

Federal Law is not optional.....you can contact your local officials if you want the law changed.

Similarly, you can not for instance skip TSA screening because you do not feel like it should apply to you or you do not believe it is effective or think others are just being fearful. 

Rules are rules, you know. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@Ktclower Your not wearing a mask endangers everyone. My wearing a mask endangers no one. Risking your health is a personal choice. Risking the health of everyone around you is selfish.