Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Mask Requirement is BOGUS

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@lcblues1956 wrote:

The CDC changes their minds so often it is hard to know what is true, but most to of the mask thing is a political ploy to see just how many will follow with no firm facts since the numbers aren't lower or zero since the mandates. 

Mask wearing has significantly reduced transmission of the virus and there are numerous studies that support that fact. And, unfortunately, you're correct that "it is hard to know what is true." That's by design -- not of the CDC, but of the president. The CDC publishes information, that then upsets the president and current administration, and is then ordered to change it to better meet the messaging desired by the president's reelection campaign. The numbers will never be "zero" but they are absolutely lower than they would be if we weren't wearing masks.

lcblues1956
Explorer C

you wearing mask protect no one but you since they also are wearing a mask so quit using the excuse I am protecting other for your support of masks. If you feel safe wearing the mask , you then are protected, If another person doesn't like the mask  and decides not to wear one , you are protected if you wears your mask . so quit the bs about it protects others since  most people are wearing one if they are worried about the virus. Quit judging other if the choose not to.

jse
Explorer C

OK, so you coughing on me, while not wearing a mask and seated 2 feet away, does not increase my risk?

I guess you don't believe in social distancing either.  So what do you think prevents transmission?

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

I have COPD with reduced airflow and O2 blood level to begin with.  I can't wear a mask for more than a half-hour before I start feeling the effects.  Therefore, it looks like I won't be flying for a while.

I just got back from a cross-country driving trip.  7,596 miles.  IAD-RNO-LAX-TUS-ELP-DEN-MCI-DAY-IAD, if I'd been flying.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Cable-TV-Guy wrote:

I have COPD with reduced airflow and O2 blood level to begin with.  I can't wear a mask for more than a half-hour before I start feeling the effects.  Therefore, it looks like I won't be flying for a while.

You don't have t wear a mask wile eating or drinking. If you do it right you can eat/drink for a while . Then put the mask on. When you feel the need, you can remove the mask and eat/drink some more.

Rinse and repeat as needed.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's probably a good idea for somebody with a respiratory condition such as COPD to avoid unnecessary exposure risks right now. Such as being inside an enclosed container with other people and not wearing a mask. 

Personally, I'm taking as few exposure risks as I possibly can these days.

JoeMinor55
Explorer C

Hey. You are the one we will be saying HAVE FUN to on November 3rd.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@JoeMinor55 

Please follow Community guidelines, no need for name calling.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-User-Guidelines/m-p/2/highlig...

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

I am not a fan of wearing masks either, believe me, and I can only hope that the policies will be relaxed as the COVID-19 cases decrease and people ease out of panic/"we are all going to die!" mode (which is starting to happen slowly but surely).

Thanks,

Jessica

funwhite
Explorer B

I could not agree more.  Even the medical people says the mask will not protect you.  That’s because its not medical grade.   Given the choice, I would drive too.  Hopefully this will end soon, as it is not required by law.  When passenger load is down, the airline will mistakenly says people are afraid to fly.  Actually it is the useless restrictions.  I also miss the beverage service.  They could at least do that.  I no longer do leisure travel, since both the hotel and air experience are anything but enjoyable.