Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mask exemption procedure: Will it really work to get us on the flights?

FresnoFrank
Explorer C

Hello,

We need to fly for medical purposes to get treatment for my child.  We will want to use Southwest's exemption process since she cannot wear a mask.  However, I am wondering if it will work in real life.  Once we get all the approvals and tests, it seems that Southwest might allow her to fly only if the flights are less than 50% full AND there is no one else on the plane with the same exemption (this was from several older articles that had quoted from Southwest's website; here is one such article https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2021/03/11/southwest-introduces-tough-new-face-mask-exemption-rul... ).

However, this is all I could find on the Southwest website, which does NOT lay out the 'less than 50% full and no other exemptions' rule:
"If Southwest preliminarily approves a mask exemption after reviewing the Passenger’s PDF document and the Medical Physician’s letter and after receiving the third party medical provider’s affirmation for travel, if required, Southwest will contact you at the phone number or email address provided below to discuss any need to change your travel dates and/or flights and remind you of the need to obtain a qualifying COVID negative viral test."  https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol.... 

Given that flights are rarely less than 50% full, we need to find a combination of 2 connecting flights that would qualify, and there might already be another 'exemption person' that could be on one of those flights; I am wondering if the realistic answer is that flying with a mask exemption is not possible in real life.  Does anyone have any real life experience if getting the exemption will actually mean that one will be able to get on the flights?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mask exemption procedure: Will it really work to get us on the flights?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you acknowledged flights are not typically less than 50% full. That seems to answer your own question. If you have tons of flexibility then go for it, otherwise you will probably want to make other plans.

I'll wait for someone else to jump all over you for saying someone is unable to wear a mask. Brace yourself. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Without knowing what condition your child has, it is too much to ask to wear a mask on a plane for a couple of hours at most? 

Granted - the mask mandate is set to expire in September, so if you are flying later than that, this may no longer be an issue. I haven't heard if the mandate is being extended. 

--Jessica

FresnoFrank
Explorer C

I don't want to get into medical issues, but there was a reason why the government put in exemptions.

I would prefer that she wears a mask, and would try even with an exemption.  But it might be needed to be taken off.  It is about 10 hours from entry in the first airport to exit at the final airport.  If I don't get an exemption, I have to be able to know ahead of time that she can make it the entire time wearing the mask.  Otherwise, if something goes wrong, we either don't get on the first flight, or don't get on the second flight.  Then we are stuck and she doesn't the medical treatment.

Some would say that once the plane takes off, they aren't going to turn around and kick us off if we have to take the mask off in the middle of the flight.  But if we took it off on the first flight, we would probably get denied boarding on the second flight.  And there is the possibility that we might have to take the mask off at an airport before boarding one of the flights.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

If she can't fly with a mask on, Southwest is probably not the best choice for you. I believe some of the other airlines have more accommodating policies. Different airlines are appropriate for different people with different needs. As someone who needs to fly pretty much every week to feed my family, Southwest's policy is right for me.

I can tell you that if you do plan to fly Southwest, and you are asked if she can/will wear a mask the entire time, you should answer with an emphatic 'yes'. Any hedging or lack of sureness in your answer will likely lead to you being denied boarding.