Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Max 8 Cancellations

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@maggie1954 wrote:

I understand and understood all what you noted.  What I am hearing is American is giving notice of fllight cancellations weeks in advance whereas WN is several days. I think we know that the plane will not be in service until at least early to mid-May, therefore I hope your flight schedule is set until at least that time period and not just several days at a time.  My thanks for your great product!  

American is a little less flexible than Southwest since they fly so many different aircraft types.

Southwest - although I'm sure they have the general plan in place that you are describing - may be making some adjustments as they go since a flight previously provided by a MAX8 could be substituted with a 737-800 if one is available and in position, or with a 737-700 which would then be oversold by up to 35 seats but 140 people could still continue with their trip as previously booked.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Hopefully the latest news that Southwest is now adjusting the schedule through the end of May helps ease some of the pain:

"The airline [Southwest], which has more Max 8s than any U.S. carrier, has decided to keep its 34 Max 8s out of its flight schedule through at least May, according to a memo sent to the airline's pilots late Friday."

"'We’re publishing a revised schedule for April and May that is built around the currently available Southwest fleet and intends to reduce drastically last-minute trip disruptions and same-day cancellations which have affected our customers and employees since the grounding of the Max,' the airline said in a statement."

Full article is here:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2019/03/29/southwest-airlines-removes-boeing-max-8-s-f...

Customer | Home airport DCA

thewheatbandit
Explorer C

SW is canceling flights only 5 days out because it allows them to continue selling tickets for flights that they will eventually have to cancel. SW is, essentially, overselling tickets on purpose by accepting non-refundable fares that it does not expect to ticket. Shame!!!

thewheatbandit
Explorer C

How does keeping Max8’s out of service for longer fix anything? The planes were taken out of service through May because they won’t be cleared to fly before then.