Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mexico Travel - Preventing loss of travel credit?

Aigustafson
Explorer C

My husband and I were looking forward to taking our kids (5, 4 and 1) to Mexico for Christmas but are going to cancel with current pandemic climate/travel advisories 😞. Ideally, we’d go at same time next year (we don’t have very flexible schedules). Since we booked this trip VERY early hoping the pandemic would be behind us by now our credits will expire in June. Is there anything we can do to avoid losing all this money $$$.  We were denied the LUV Voucher. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Mexico Travel - Preventing loss of travel credit?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Aigustafson wrote:

My husband and I were looking forward to taking our kids (5, 4 and 1) to Mexico for Christmas but are going to cancel with current pandemic climate/travel advisories 😞. Ideally, we’d go at same time next year (we don’t have very flexible schedules). Since we booked this trip VERY early hoping the pandemic would be behind us by now our credits will expire in June. Is there anything we can do to avoid losing all this money $$$.  We were denied the LUV Voucher. Thank you!

The unofficial LUV voucher conversion option (for fee) is useful after the travel funds expire, so you may not be eligible for that option yet if you called now.

It is unknown if any additional flexibilities will be coming so you may want to consider if there are any travel options for your family prior to the expiration date which would be the maximum value of your travel funds.

If not, then you have a period I believe 6 months to request the LUV voucher from the expired travel funds, and then six months to use the voucher when you get it - that option in effect would be a conversion fee of $100 per travel fund to re-use it a year later from your original travel as vouchers. Don't call on the first day of expiration to give yourself a little cushion on the voucher's six month expiration.

That's all unpublished, so the terms of the conversion could change or be denied at any time. The best option is to use the travel funds for an alternate trip if any presents itself.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Aigustafson
Explorer C

Thank you! This is very informative as I did not know why the LUV voucher was denied. I’m going to have to pursue that route when the travel credit expires.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Aigustafson wrote:

My husband and I were looking forward to taking our kids (5, 4 and 1) to Mexico for Christmas but are going to cancel with current pandemic climate/travel advisories 😞.   

Huh??

The 6 flights I have recently been on have been full. Airports are packed. Thanksgiving travel is forecast to be 5% more than it was in 2019.

millions of travelers are traveling. They seem to not see anything to be concerned  about with the“current pandemic climate.”