Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Middle seats open through November 30

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Thank you, SWA, for keeping us safe during the Thanksgiving holiday travel season.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Middle seats open through November 30

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Great move by Southwest here. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Definitely great news! Read more here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

danehenas
Explorer C

Sorry, this means to me that I have until November 30 to fly safely. I'd really re-think this one...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No more blocking of middle seats starting December 1.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/southwest-airlines-coronavirus-hurts-3q-2020-earnings.html

Southwest said it will soon stop blocking middle seats, a measure it had in place to calm travelers worried about traveling during the pandemic.

"This practice of effectively keeping middle seats open bridged us from the early days of the pandemic, when we had little knowledge about the behavior of the virus, to now," Southwest said. "Today, aligned with science-based findings from trusted medical and aviation organizations, we will resume selling all available seats for travel beginning December 1, 2020."

--TheMiddleSeat

rondak
Explorer C

I just heard on the news that effecive Dec. 1 Southwest will start selling the middle seats on all flights.  They say this is based on scientific evidence.  I would like to see the evidence.

I am a registered nurse.  I have seen the devastation COVID-19 has brought to the world.  Experts (CDC, former FDA Director, Dr. Fauci) all say this winter is going to be especially difficult for the U.S.  Then, add influenza season to it!  

It is beyond belief for me that Southwest is changing their policy during a pandemic when the number of cases are to be at an all-time high and have distancing not being an option on flights.

Well, I'll be looking for another carrier, if Southwest begins selling the middle seats.  I understand the airlines have taken a financial hit and need to have full airplanes.  However, the flying public will not tolerate no opportunity for distancing, will find another air carrier who will offer what is best for the flying public, or not fly at all.

Please reconsider, Southwest!

danehenas
Explorer C

Does SWA have a crystal ball that says the pandemic will be over on December 1? I'm sorry, but I still do not want to sit 4 inches from a stranger for hours. Even with the middle seat left open, you're still less than 3 feet from the passenger in the seat on the other side of the empty seat. The jury is still out on this one folks...

redflyer2
Explorer A

I have to agree.  Flying for ANY amount of time, next to someone you do not know is not a risk we are willing to take at the moment.  As we are unable to drive to our favorite destinations (NYC, Seattle and Kauai), I will patiently keep our points intact for when there is a vaccine or they reinstate the 'no middle seat policy'.  As much as we LUV Southwest, my husband and I will not roll the dice.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Well, I guess I'm waiting to see if other airlines are keeping their middle seat open.  It's not what I wanted, (I've got 3 trips coming up after NOV 30.  But I knew it was coming sometime, just wished they would have waited to see what happened with people moving indoors and bad timing based on the current situation we are in now...more than half the states going up in cases and we hit a death toll high for a day since April just yesterday.

dtric1221
Explorer C

My wife and I were going to fly Southwest to Florida in January. We will not fly Southwest if they choose to sell the middle seat. Bad call!