Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Military Boarding Policy

elims
Explorer C

I've looked up the Military Boarding Policy and this was what I found from a Southwest employee.

"Patriotism runs deep at Southwest Airlines, and we are proud of all those who serve. When it comes to our military boarding policy, we invite active duty, uniformed members of the U.S. military to board before the B Group."

However, today, I was deny access after showing my DoD CAC card because I was not in "uniform". Not every branch in the military can travel in "uniform". 

Is this really how Southwest treat our military members? 

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Military Boarding Policy

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@elims wrote:

I've looked up the Military Boarding Policy and this was what I found from a Southwest employee.

"Patriotism runs deep at Southwest Airlines, and we are proud of all those who serve. When it comes to our military boarding policy, we invite active duty, uniformed members of the U.S. military to board before the B Group."

However, today, I was deny access after showing my DoD CAC card because I was not in "uniform". Not every branch in the military can travel in "uniform". 

Is this really how Southwest treat our military members? 

Unfortunately, it is.

Southwest requires that military be in uniform in order to receive boarding benefits. It's well understood that many military passengers are unable to travel in uniform, even while on duty. This has long been a policy that seems to mostly disappoint military passengers.

Hopefully this disappointment is offset a bit by Southwest's military fare discounts and flexibility, along with oversize & excess baggage fees exceptions.

BBelobrajdic
Explorer C

This is an optics issue. Southwest is aware that military members are required to NOT travel in uniform. Boarding is allowed for members in uniform, meaning Southwest doesn’t want to be seen not respecting those that serve (allowing early boarding is how - ostensibly- the airlines show their patriotism). This is inconsistent and shallow. Either allow all military members the boarding privileges or none at all. At least with United and American, they are consistent. Keep this is in mind folks when purchasing future tickets on your own dime. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

This is a customer forum, so you are not making your suggestion to SW here.

You can by contacting customer relations

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@BBelobrajdic I agree with you, but regardless of the fact that is a glitch with this issue, it won't make me stop or decide any less to fly SWA.  It's my dime and SWA gives me the best perks for my money.  And now, flight credits don't expire!!  Thank you SWA, now listen to our military flyers on this issue.  

Donny2002
Explorer C

This was the worst they won't even let national guard or other military on bored on ther own group if ur not in uniform 😒 this air line is the worst and I will never use them agin I'd rather go with delta Air lines as they support all military rather then in uniform. Southwest is the worst and can't show ther passing for there service member’s luggage or other essentave ain't nothing. I wish Southwest would welcome all military on bored on ther own group with cac card military card

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yup, the standard policy is only those in uniform are allowed to board early.

If you want to see that changed, you could tell the airline that is what you want. Click on  "contact us" below to do so.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

THANK YOU, for your service to our country.  It might be something to bring up with customer relations, but as stated by Chicago, it has been a policy for some time,  (taking his word on it)  Sounds like a policy that might be looked at if you press the issue politely.  

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I appreciate what our military does. However, I'm sure that I'm not alone in wishing military members would feel less entitled. Yes, it is a hard and a dangerous job for some. However, the US military is all volunteer. If Southwest chooses to give special boarding privileges to military members, that is great. But, if they don't, well, I don't see that as a reason to be upset.

ThatOneDude
Explorer C

You don’t understand the problem, there are plenty of stores that don’t offer discounts, barns and noble doesnt and I slays go there but I don’t complain about it. The problem is that southwest says they board military before B when they don’t, they only say it so they can seem like a company which supports the military. It is a shady practice which only tricks military members. If they had chosen not to give special boarding privileges nobody would be upset, it’s the fact that they use underhanded tactics to fake their special boarding privileges. Most military cannot travel in their uniform and for any situation when they can most would rather not, making this special boarding privilege just for show