Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding Policy

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I see people in uniform all the time. I do not pretend to know why some are in uniform and some are not.

Idesofmarch2008
Explorer C

You don’t pretend to know the difference because you don’t know.  It’s funny how the ones who get the “privilege” are *usually* trainees heading home for block leave or to their school from basic/boot.   

All or none.  It’s not about entitlement but optics, as mentioned previously.

Akangela1
Explorer C

As a 22 year veteran, I decided to respond to this comment despite the fact that it’ll make very little difference. Entitled is having the audacity to disrespect the people who allow you to enjoy your own entitlements…and yes we do it voluntarily. Because we’re built that way. Clearly you’re not. 

Preferred seating on Delta or American is cool; however, my seat is the same no matter when I board the flight. Since SWA is open seating, preferred boarding would provide a greater show of appreciation for those who serve for obvious reasons….

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Akangela1 wrote:

As a 22 year veteran, I decided to respond to this comment despite the fact that it’ll make very little difference.  

Actually, it will make no difference at all.

Why?

Answer: because this is a customer to customer forum that is used to obtain information, complain and compliment. Issues are not "fixed" here.

If you want to try to "fix" an issue, then you need to contact SW directly. To do so. click on "contact us" below and proceed.

kasey97
Adventurer C

Does a CAC card show that you're an Active Component military servicemember?  My hubby has a CAC card becuz he's a DOD civilian employee.  I agree with your sentiments regarding not being in uniform.  But why not show your military ID?  Is there a prohibition against that now?  On a side note, I always feel a bit slighted when I, as an Army Retiree over 20 yrs, are not included in certain military benefits.  BUT.....only a bit, and then I think....well I'm still VERY thankful that our current active duty are afforded discounts, benefits, etc.

Idesofmarch2008
Explorer C

Yes, the CAC says “Active,” and most airlines either check that or trust that people who say they are, are.  There are plenty of reasons we might need to board first, and some airlines let Veterans/retirees, as my spouse gets to on those.

SWICTD
Explorer C

I agree this policy is just for optics and clearly shows a poor understanding of the military. This happened to me and I was extremely disappointed. I will never use Southwest again and I’ll encourage everyone in my circles to do the same.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I appreciate the military. You do an important job. I just wish so many military members weren't so entitled. Southwest lets military members in uniform board between A and B. That's a cause to thank Southwest, not find fault for not giving more special privileges.

SWICTD
Explorer C

It’s a completely flawed policy. Most military units have policies that service members must not travel in uniform. Why’s that so hard to understand? It’s nothing to do with entitlement. If Southwest wanted to allow service members to board early, an active military ID should be the only thing required.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@SWICTD That's not the policy. Entitled is being upset that they don't change the policy to give a benefit. There is no entitlement to that...