Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding Policy

autumng521
Explorer C

It’s not entitlement, it’s about service peoples’ safety. Look up terrorist attacks against people in uniform. It’s dangerous for us to travel in uniform. It’s why most of us cannot based on regulations. 

omega55
Explorer C

There seems to be a misunderstanding on why military members are disappointed with the execution of this policy.

• The DOD prefers it's members to travel in civilian clothes due to being targeted in terrorists attacks. (E.g. Frankfurt Int'l), I understand that WN doesn't fly to Germany, but most military don't control their itinerary and may fly WN to another US airport before switching airlines to Germany.
  • The open seating is stressful for TDYers when more than likely 24hrs earlier the member was not in a situation to check in for a decent position (multiple times I was on a Mil cargo plane until hours after check in). If they had standard military boarding like they do for families it would relieve that stress.
  • Also it comes off extremely disingenuous to say that the airline loves the troops with these "benefits" yet neglects to offer them regularly.

These are the reasons I actively avoid flying WN. Not to mention flying other airlines there's the occasional upgrade to first/business for status or just being military.

autumng521
Explorer C

Southwest, the fact of the matter is, many other airlines do military fares and waive baggage fees AND are now often much cheaper options. The fact that you don’t let active duty military to have boarding privileges if they’re not in uniform is actually a matter of safety. One of the biggest reasons that service people don’t travel in uniform is not because we can’t, it’s because it’s unsafe because we become a target for various things such as hate speech or even harmful actions.

Chalk1Go
Explorer C

First off, what a dumb argument, that you can't wear uniform because of terrorists, but want to identify yourself by boarding early. Secondly, airlines never should have started this. I get it, it started after 9/11 to support Afghanistan and Iraq, which by the way troops would come home IN uniform on R&R, so yes it made sense then, why should military get to board first all the time unless they were deployed. But now it should be illegal, those are government funds you're traveling on, so any airline that does not offer this...

Lastly, shame on military for doing this still, it's selfish and from past experience military should never put themselves ahead of the civilians

Shedrick42
Explorer C

I have been traveling with Southwest for over 20 years and never had to be in uniform to board before the B group until just recently. I was told that they are now enforcing the policy. I’m sorry, so now you want to give the terrorist a target. We actually encourage not to wear uniform. This is so disheartening and I think my family and I are going to switch to United. They may be a little pricier but at least they have more comfortable planes. Im sick at thi. So disgusting 🤮 

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you don't like the policy, then you can always complain to the airline by clicking on "contact us" below and proceeding.
@Shedrick42 wrote:

I have been traveling with Southwest for over 20 years and never had to be in uniform to board before the B group until just recently. I was told that they are now enforcing the policy. I’m sorry, so now you want to give the terrorist a target. We actually encourage not to wear uniform. This is so disheartening and I think my family and I are going to switch to United. They may be a little pricier but at least they have more comfortable planes.   🤮 

Actually, United planes (absent the wide bodies) either have less seat room or the same seat room as SW. If you  think United is a "little" more expensive,  then your definition of "little" is more than a "little" bit different than mine, But look on the bright side, with United you'll be able to pay for your seat selection and to check your bags.

Enjoy the trip!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

To all of you that say you want to switch airlines.  I'm just going to say it, but before I do, my father was an Air Force Veteran, and both my brothers are Veteran's.  With that said, I don't think this would be an issue to anyone of them.   Now, I really don't know about the other airlines because I rarely fly them since 1998 or so, but here is what I know that SWA does do each year.  I'm not saying there are "degree" of privilege for a person in the service one day or 3 decades, but then again, maybe there are.  I appreciate and applauded SWA for what they do each year for a specific group of veterans. 

As the official airline of the Honor Flight Network, Southwest flies Veterans from various Southwest destinations around the countr...