Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Military Boarding Policy

Kerrid04
Explorer C

As active duty military serving for the last 19 years I recently encountered unfortunate treatment on my flight from dca to tpa (3857), though sw staff made announcement for military members to board early I was turned away because not in uniform(policy is never travel in uniform and I had official military orders in hand). Disappointed in how I was treated and how the policy to only allow uniformed military to board is effectively a policy to not allow any benefit to military because we are not suppose to travel in uniform.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Military Boarding Policy

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Yeah unfortunately that’s the southwest policy but it’s a very common complaint! 

zenray
Explorer C

Except those privates who just get out of boot camp, who would travel in uniform? Keep warm or maybe just wait for some thanks for your service if I have to guess. With little practical use and inconsistent treatment in different airports, isn't that fake to put military priority into the policy?

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

SW needs to fix this.

DonnieD
Explorer C

I've haven't flown southwest in over 7 years due to this type of behavior. This past week I attempted to give them a chance and the same behavior has happened. I've explained to the the counter that Active Military should travel in uniform (some exceptions) so that defeats the purpose. She states it's their policy. I spoke to a supervisor and she whispered to another employee she doesn't have time to deal with it today. 

I can't tolerate this type of behavior as I was being nice and wanted to educate them on regulations when it comes to military traveling in uniform. No airline in 21 years has treated me in such a way. I am not here thinking I'm better but if it's regulations and policies that says we can't I understand but I dislike the way I was treated and it really defeats the purpose when we can't fly in uniform as I was on official orders and working out in San Antonio. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DonnieD wrote:

I've haven't flown southwest in over 7 years due to this type of behavior. This past week I attempted to give them a chance and the same behavior has happened. I've explained to the the counter that Active Military should travel in uniform (some exceptions) so that defeats the purpose. She states it's their policy. I spoke to a supervisor and she whispered to another employee she doesn't have time to deal with it today. 

I can't tolerate this type of behavior as I was being nice and wanted to educate them on regulations when it comes to military traveling in uniform. No airline in 21 years has treated me in such a way. I am not here thinking I'm better but if it's regulations and policies that says we can't I understand but I dislike the way I was treated and it really defeats the purpose when we can't fly in uniform as I was on official orders and working out in San Antonio. 

Pardon me for being dense, but nowhere in your paragraph 1 did you explain the parts of your paragraph 2 that I bolded.  Please elaborate. Sorry, but I didn't see how you were badly mistreated.

Southwest has a policy that states that military travelling in uniform are allowed certain privileges. If not in uniform, then that does not apply. If you dislike that policy, you should contact the airline directly to request a change in policy. You are not doing that here as you are on a customer forum.

To contact the airline directly, click on contact us below.

DonnieD
Explorer C

I don't really understand why I'm explaining anything to anyone that's dense, but since you had enough time to sit and bold something I typed out and this is a discussion forum. I will take a minute to explain not tolerating this type of behavior from a perfessional telling me she doesn't have time to for me, I didn't asked for time I was asking for the policy. I was also explaining to her that per regulations, guidance and security reasons some branches of the military are prohibited to fly in uniform so their policy defeats the purpose. 

I've been flying official and have flown on many airlines, no one has treated me as this airline did on this past week. I basically can care less what their policy is what I was explaining to the customer service supervisor is because someone has a uniform on doesn't mean that they are actually connected to the military service as you see every day. Everywhere else in the world you go military ID should suffice. 

The way I was treated wasn't the way a professional cooperation handles business. I asked a question and was told their was no time to explain anything to me and the gate agent actually explained to another person that's it's at her descretion, so what's the policy? Is it the gate agents descretion or the airline policy that were following? 

Also, I've contacted the airline directly and it's being looked into. Thanks for your response.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution
We're saddened to know we let you down, @DonnieD. As a peer-to-peer forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to reach out via the options in the Contact Us link below. Thank you.
Nicole
Community Manager