Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Military Denied refund

New Arrival

Southwest is receiving a $61B bailout but they will not refund my $273 ticket. I’m a military member that has served in the Air Force for over 18 years. My military leave was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All military leave was restricted by the Secretary of Defense. I did not have a choice about canceling my leave. I promptly called Southwest and Was informed they will only provide a voucher not a refund. Their customer service member read from a script saying there is nothing that can be done. This corporation is being bailed out with $61B in taxpayer money and cannot do anything? Something is wrong here.  They have bigger problems than refunding $273. SW will not be getting my business in the future and I highly encourage everyone to reconsider flying with an Airline that does not respect our military during a pandemic. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Military Denied refund

Top Contributor

There is currently no bailout for airlines and if there was, Southwest would not be getting anywhere near $61 billion. Travel funds are being issued to anyone canceling a non-refundable ticket. If you had purchased a refundable fare or if Southwest had canceled your flight you have would received a cash refund. You have until June 30, 2021 to use the travel funds from canceling this flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

There is currently no bailout for airlines and if there was, Southwest would not be getting anywhere near $61 billion. Travel funds are being issued to anyone canceling a non-refundable ticket. If you had purchased a refundable fare or if Southwest had canceled your flight you have would received a cash refund. You have until June 30, 2021 to use the travel funds from canceling this flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

With regards to the bailout:

Southwest has applied for a portion of the $61 billion airline bailout package approved by Congress. That $61 billion in aid includes $25 billion in cash grants and as much as $32 billion in separate payments for airlines to keep employees on their payrolls. Southwest is seeking up to $12 billion in aid.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@Militarypg wrote:

Southwest is receiving a $61B bailout but they will not refund my $273 ticket. I’m a military member that has served in the Air Force for over 18 years. My military leave was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All military leave was restricted by the Secretary of Defense. I did not have a choice about canceling my leave. I promptly called Southwest and Was informed they will only provide a voucher not a refund. Their customer service member read from a script saying there is nothing that can be done. This corporation is being bailed out with $61B in taxpayer money and cannot do anything? Something is wrong here.  They have bigger problems than refunding $273. SW will not be getting my business in the future and I highly encourage everyone to reconsider flying with an Airline that does not respect our military during a pandemic. 

Your military status is only a factor if you were flying on a military fare, those fares are full refundable.

If you were flying on a restricted, discount Wanna Get Away fare, those are only refundable if Southwest cancels the flight (not if the customer does). However, Southwest is extending the expiration dates of all funds created due to cancellations made March 1 - June 30, 2020 to June 30, 2021. Normally these funds would expire one year from the date of purchase.

Highlighted

I think that we all appreciate what you do for us. However, I also see that the military is all volunteer. I, for one, am tired of military members expecting everyone to kowtow to them and give them special treatment. You, like the rest of us, entered into a contract. The contract specified that if you canceled, you would get a credit. You canceled, and you got a credit. That's the rules. I expect our military members to be professional and play by the rules.