Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mobility scooter batteries and oxygen concentrator lithium ion batteries

MelanieBarkley
Explorer C

I use an oxygen concentrator which the faa requires that I bring extra batteries with me on board, I also need them for my trip.  I also use a mobility scooter which uses small swapable batteries.  These scooter batteries are easily removable and should be in the cabin with me.

i have a total of three oxygen concentrator batteries (one of which is used in the machine at all times). These batteries are 46.1 wh each.  I have 4 batteries for the scooter 2 of which mount to the scooter but will be removed (they are all required to be used if the scooter is to run for a full day). These batteries are 88.8 wh.  

The oxygen concentrator is a Oxygo next (the same exact thing as an Inogen g5), and the scooter is a Superhandy scooter which is advertised as tsa approved.

Will all these batteries be able to be brought on board as they are necessary  to my being able to travel?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mobility scooter batteries and oxygen concentrator lithium ion batteries

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

MelanieBarkley
Explorer C

Even if there’s that many?

Southwest lithium ion battery rules state:

“If the battery is not securely attached, it must be removed and transported separately as carryon baggage. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit. There is a single battery size limit of 300 watt-hours (Wh). If the device utilizes two batteries, each battery cannot exceed 160 Wh. A maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spares not exceeding 160 Wh each may be carried onboard.”

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MelanieBarkley wrote:

I use an oxygen concentrator which the faa requires that I bring extra batteries with me on board, I also need them for my trip.  I also use a mobility scooter which uses small swapable batteries.  These scooter batteries are easily removable and should be in the cabin with me.

i have a total of three oxygen concentrator batteries (one of which is used in the machine at all times). These batteries are 46.1 wh each.  I have 4 batteries for the scooter 2 of which mount to the scooter but will be removed (they are all required to be used if the scooter is to run for a full day). These batteries are 88.8 wh.  

The oxygen concentrator is a Oxygo next (the same exact thing as an Inogen g5), and the scooter is a Superhandy scooter which is advertised as tsa approved.

Will all these batteries be able to be brought on board as they are necessary  to my being able to travel?

Here is the TSA guidance. 100 Wh seems to be a threshold for number of extra batteries so that's favorable for you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

I'm not sure about oxygen, the G5 isn't on this list but you might be able to verify the model number and labeling on the unit according to these instructions:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/cabin_safety/portable_oxygen

I hope your travel goes smoothly!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MelanieBarkley
Explorer C

I’ve flown with my oxygen concentrator.  It is allowed.