Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Multiple Gift cards

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

As I posted earlier in this thread:

Southwest® gift card Terms & Conditions

• You can combine up to three payment methods to pay for your purchase.  Choose from the following combinations:
    • Southwest gift cards – A maximum of three Southwest gift cards can be applied per passenger on each reservation.  If your purchase exceeds the amount available on the three Southwest gift cards, you will only be allowed to use two Southwest gift cards and another form of payment will be required for the difference. 
    • Held Funds – A maximum of three Held Funds tickets can be applied per Passenger on each reservation.  If your purchase exceeds the amount available on the three Held Funds tickets, you will only be allowed to use two Held Funds tickets and another form of payment will be required for the difference.
    • Southwest LUV vouchers - A maximum of two Southwest LUV vouchers can be applied per passenger on each reservation.  Another form of payment will be required to pay for taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges associated with each reservation. 
    • Credit Card – Only one credit card, including, without limitation, PayPal, can be applied per reservation.

From the website:

Southwest gift cards – A maximum of three Southwest gift cards can be applied per passenger on each reservation.  If your purchase exceeds the amount available on the three Southwest gift cards, you will only be allowed to use two Southwest gift cards and another form of payment will be required for the difference. 

sjh518
Explorer C

I recently made one reservation for 4 people and was able to use multiple gift cards as the agent said I could use 3 forms of payment PER PERSON.  Apparently this is something you can only do with a live agent, not on the website yourself.  I was also told this is a recent change made at Southwest

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sjh518 wrote:

I recently made one reservation for 4 people and was able to use multiple gift cards as the agent said I could use 3 forms of payment PER PERSON.  Apparently this is something you can only do with a live agent, not on the website yourself.  I was also told this is a recent change made at Southwest

Thanks for the update @sjh518 that's good to know it is possible by calling. I hadn't personally tried it but it seemed like a longshot to type in 12 gift cards online, even if there were four passengers.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

vleto
Explorer C

Hello all, 

I have been receiving gift cards for Southwest for various occasions for a little over a year now. I know others have mentioned that you can only use 2 per person however i have several. Is there no way for me to use these all up? Can i consolidate? Or will all this money on gift cards go to waste? Thanks 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@vleto wrote:

Hello all, 

I have been receiving gift cards for Southwest for various occasions for a little over a year now. I know others have mentioned that you can only use 2 per person however i have several. Is there no way for me to use these all up? Can i consolidate? Or will all this money on gift cards go to waste? Thanks 

Once you're certain of your travel plans, you can "consolidate," but it's a somewhat tedious process.

Use as many cards as possible to book a "dummy" flight (pick any destination that has a fare that is as close to the value more or less of the cards you're using) then immediately cancel that flight. You'll now have Travel Funds that you can combine with additional cards for the next booking. Wash, rinse, repeat. 😉

Be aware that once you've applied the cards and booked the flight, those funds are now only usable by the passenger you booked, and will expire one year from that date of the booking (all travel must be completed by then). So I recommend booking only one-way flights and only for a single passenger. (This may also be a way for you to use up the gift cards without having to consolidate.)

It's not a great process, but it works. Hope this helps!

j_antman
Explorer C

Does this work with travel funds too? I have about 6 different travel funds I want to consolidate so I can use it all towards one flight. If I booked a "dummy" flight and then cancelled it do I get my whole total back or just what I paid out of pocket? Hope this makes sense lol

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@j_antman wrote:

Does this work with travel funds too? I have about 6 different travel funds I want to consolidate so I can use it all towards one flight. If I booked a "dummy" flight and then cancelled it do I get my whole total back or just what I paid out of pocket? Hope this makes sense lol

You can consolidate travel funds as well, but there are some important thing to keep in mind:

-- You can only consolidate travel funds that are for the same passenger(s). And the resulting fund can only be used by the same passenger(s)

-- The expiration date for the new, combined travel fund (including any new money) will be the earliest expiration date of any of the funds. All travel must be completed by that date.

j_antman
Explorer C

Thanks so much! I just did this a couple times and it worked but now it's giving me an error message. Do you know if there's only a certain amount of times you can repeat this process? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

I don't think there is a limit on how many times you can do this.

If you are getting an error message, I susect that one of the folling is the cause:

1) Passenger name does not match that that was used for the confirmation number

2) Passenger name or confirmation number typo

3) Travel fund has been used up or is expired.

At least when I've gotten an error message, it's been one of the three.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@j_antman wrote:

Thanks so much! I just did this a couple times and it worked but now it's giving me an error message. Do you know if there's only a certain amount of times you can repeat this process? 

Theoretically, there should be no limit. My best guess is that it's mismatched passenger names? What exactly is the error message?