Re: NEVER USE Southwest Hotels

ariese34
Explorer C

Because Southwest will offer points when booking through them

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Hello!

I'm going to chime in as I used Southwest Hotels for three separate hotel bookings so far this year with three separate brands at three different locations with the most recent stay happening during this month of May.

The main obvious reason of me booking through SW Hotels was the generous Rapid Rewards points perk for the Plus Properties combined with the flexibility to choose from a variety of hotel brands of which to stay while in the area. I require--and many hotel booking options offer--free cancellation up to 48 hours prior. Overall cost is competitive.

I had smooth and problem-free check-in processes for all three hotels and I think selecting the Rapid Rewards Plus Point Property had something to do with it. I did have a very minor inconsistency with the bed booked with one of the hotels versus the actual bed in the room (booked 1 queen, room had 1 king--very, very minor). Being single-occupancy bookings, this didn't matter but worth noting. Also since I'm the solo occupant, not picky on room specifics. Should I have very specific room type requirements in the future (e.g. window views, floor level, hotel tower preference, or specific amenities) I may opt to book direct and work with the hotel on these. But since just about all of my hotel bookings are simply for a place to rest my head, Southwest Hotels does the job with some nice Rapid Reward points in return.

Hotel Properties:

Hotel Seville - Ontario Airport/Chino

(formerly Super 8 )

Room Type Booked: Comfort King Room
Room Type Received: Comfort King Room
Rapid Rewards: 1000

20230316_065444.jpg

20230315_153924.jpg

Best Western California City Inn and Suites
Rapid Rewards: 4000
Room Type Booked: 2 Queen Beds
Room Type Received: 2 Queen Beds

2023-05-08 094847-Cropped.png

Motel 6-Redlands, CA

(formerly Howard Johnson)

Rapid Rewards: 700
Room Type Booked: 1 Queen Bed - Non-Smoking
Room Type Received: 1 King Bed - Non-Smoking

20230504_180645.jpg

20230504_163133.jpg

Hotel Selection Criteria:
Overall Base Cost
Quality of Hotel
Neighborhood Safety
Rapid Rewards Plus Point Property
Free Cancellation Support up to 48 hours

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

I haven't been with RR for long, but I have already had a few problems.

I booked a hotel last summer, but when I got there, my reservation was nowhere to be found. I had the confirmation printout, the hotel manager got involved, went to call Southwest or Booking.com, etc. They went above and beyond and were apologetic, but I was out of luck. They were totally booked. It was very hard finding a hotel nearby that wasn't full. This was extremely frustrating. I chalked to up to being a one-time thing.

In January, I flew to Hawaii and booked the flight and hotel through Southwest and Booking.com. My daughter flew on the companion pass. Three days after we returned, I got an email stating that the points for the hotel stay were posted to my account. The points never were posted. After numerous phone calls, emails and case numbers assigned, I was finally told that the points were posted to my companion's account. I had no idea she had a separate Rewards number. I don't know how this happened. Southwest will not transfer the points to my account. I was counting on those points to put me over the top for another Companion Pass. I will post on the FB page and contact the corporate office.

I'm also rethinking my relationship with Southwest.