Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Name Change on Ticket

mckim921208
Explorer C

I changed my first name and last name. Is it replaceable?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Name Change on Ticket

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

If the ticket is for you, and you changed your name, and you are still flying, then you would need to contact Customer Relations and provide them documentation of the name change so they can change it on the ticket. If you are trying to change the person flying on the ticket, that is not allowable. Hope this helps.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you are looking to change the name on a ticket you purchased? As when people get married and change their last name, if you can submit the proper documentation showing you legally changed your name you should be able to get the ticket changed. You'll need to call Southwest to get this started. You may also be able to send a private message to Southwest on Twitter (@SouthwestAir).

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mckim921208 wrote:

In addition to the other responses, make sure that your ID when you fly will also match the new name on the ticket.

It comes up a lot with married/maiden names that someone has changed their last name, but their ID may still be the prior name at the time of the flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@mckim921208 wrote:

In addition to the other responses, make sure that your ID when you fly will also match the new name on the ticket.

It comes up a lot with married/maiden names that someone has changed their last name, but their ID may still be the prior name at the time of the flight.

Tha's an important point because TSA will require that the name on the ticket matches the name on the ID. So if your ID still has your old name on it you might just be better off using the old ID with your ticket.

jamesp
Explorer C

Getting a name changed on a ticket is a terrible experience.  I travel every other week on Southwest and for the first time had a work flight accidentally booked using my Middle Name instead of First Name.  After contacting Southwest twice I discovered that I cannot change the first name and have to cancel and repay for my ticket even though the ticket is clearly connected to my identify by DOB.  My challenge is my ticket purchase being handled by another company.  I fly enough that I have TSA Precheck and earned a companion pass.

Given I can't change the name, the ticket is now useless as I cannot use my ID or TSA Precheck with it and also can't enable my wife to travel with me using Companion Pass.  If I book and pay for a new flight on my own it's now cheaper to just fly American.  Looks like that will be my path unfortunately but might start flying with American more often.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jamesp wrote:

Getting a name changed on a ticket is a terrible experience. 

Agreed, although I think it is meant to be a difficult process. 

@jamesp wrote:

Getting a name changed on a ticket is a terrible experience.  I travel every other week on Southwest and for the first time had a work flight accidentally booked using my Middle Name instead of First Name.  After contacting Southwest twice I discovered that I cannot change the first name and have to cancel and repay for my ticket even though the ticket is clearly connected to my identify by DOB.  My challenge is my ticket purchase being handled by another company.  I fly enough that I have TSA Precheck and earned a companion pass.

Given I can't change the name, the ticket is now useless as I cannot use my ID or TSA Precheck with it and also can't enable my wife to travel with me using Companion Pass.  If I book and pay for a new flight on my own it's now cheaper to just fly American.  Looks like that will be my path unfortunately but might start flying with American more often.

I don't understand why the other company that made the booking can't fix it? It should be their responsibility to track it down through all of the painful steps.

Are you certain that there isn't any way for you to show your ID with middle name and fly? Obviously you would forgo the TSA PreCheck as you mentioned, and ability to add companion pass.

Even the travel funds would be worthless until they expired, then maybe it would make sense to convert them to a voucher. 

I don't know that this process would be any easier with tickets from any other carrier. If it was noticed within the 24-hour window then it could have been canceled no questionsd asked, and then rebooked.

Anyway - I'd try Southwest again, I'm sure they get people booked by middle names all the time (people that go by their middle name especially) and see what another rep can do for you. It might be worth trying again to get a second opinion. Call the A-list number too so they know you are a frequent customer off the bat.

@Maybe try Twitter as well, @SouthwestAir - don't send any identying information until they ask for a direct message.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.