Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Name for Boarding Pass

evc0408
Explorer C

I'm helping a family member buy a plane ticket.  Let's just say her name is Marie Elizabeth Smith (not her real name) but she always goes by Elizabeth.  Her State Driver's License has her name as "M Elizabeth Smith."  How should I enter it on the passenger information?  Exactly as it appears on her DL...M as first name, Elizabeth as middle name and Smith as last name?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Name for Boarding Pass

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

If it were me, I would put her full name.  I don't think the TSA would give her any issues there.

That said, you might reach out to Southwest directly (or the TSA) for guidance to ensure you get an "approved" answer since this is just a customer community.  Twitter is my favorite option: @southwestair or @asktsa.  You can also just the Contact Us link below or the chat feature in the Southwest app.

Out of curiosity, does she have a passport with her full name?  The safest bet would be to use her full name on the ticket with a passport as ID.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Name for Boarding Pass

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Your best bet is to make everything match exactly. Drivers license, passport, passenger name when buying the ticket, Rapid Rewards account name, trusted traveler name (TSA PreCheck or Global Entry).

If they setup a Rapid Rewards account (recommended) they'll earn points and be able to access their account info online and via the app.