Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Need alternative to spend cancelled flight travel refund

New Arrival



I had booked a round trip from ORD to FLL  recently from a friend's account who had Southwest credit card. I had to cancel the travel unfortunately. It now says the travel fund is returned to the passenger's name. As I am moving out of country for good very soon, I don't see utilizing those funds. Can someone help me figure out what are my other options? Can it be transfered to someone? Or can it be refunded in form of cash for such special cases? 

Any immediate response is highly appreciated. 


Re: Need alternative to spend cancelled flight travel refund

Rising Star

Read this:

Re: Need alternative to spend cancelled flight travel refund

Top Contributor

(Southwest doesn't fly out of ORD, so I assume you mean MDW?)


Unfortunately, travel funds are non-transferrable, linked to use by the original passenger only. Your only real option (depending on if the value of the funds makes it worth it) is to wait until they expire, then contact Customer Relations and request reissue as a voucher, which can be used by anyone. The fee for this is $100, deducted from the balance. You have 6 months from the date of expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher will be valid for travel for 6 months from the date of issue. Vouchers cover airfare only, not taxes or fees. Keep in mind that these requests are granted on a case-by-case basis, and this policy, including the amount of the fee, is subject to change at any time. Good luck!