Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Fare rules refund question about Early Bird.

lukutu
Explorer C

I realize that the new Wanna Get Away plus fares rolled out this morning, but I had bought an Anytime fare before they included Early bird in it. So now that the fare INCLUDES Early bird within it do I qualify for a refund on that Earlybird purchase I already have now?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: New Fare rules refund question about Early Bird.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suspect not.

The EB rules are pretty basic: either you use it or you lose it.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I would think that you would qualify for a refund. Contact Southwest and explain the situation. Customers who purchased tickets for travel on or after May 17 automatically receive the new benefits, so if you paid for Early Bird, I believe a refund is in order since Early Bird is now automatically included with Anytime fares.

--Jessica

strgth
Adventurer B

@jksobonya would you share the link where it is stated that Anytime fares booked after May 17 are grandfathered in for EB? I booked in April and was hoping the EB was retroactive if travel hasn't been completed yet.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@strgth wrote:

@jksobonya would you share the link where it is stated that Anytime fares booked after May 17 are grandfathered in for EB? I booked in April and was hoping the EB was retroactive if travel hasn't been completed yet.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/southwest-airlines-launches-wanna-get-away-plus-a-new-fare-...

More Perks
Southwest is also enhancing benefits to its Anytime and Business Select® fares. These fares now have the same transferable flight credit benefit as Wanna Get Away Plus, and Anytime fares now gain EarlyBird Check-In6, Priority Lane7, and Express Lane8 benefits. Tier Members (A-List /A-List Preferred Customers) now receive same-day confirmed change in addition to same-day standby9.

And that's not all. Customers who previously purchased tickets for travel on or after May 17, 2022, experience the new benefits too. This means all Business Select and Anytime tickets automatically receive these perks, and Wanna Get Away® ticket holders can now upgrade to Wanna Get Away Plus10.

strgth
Adventurer B
Thanks @jksobonya. Darn! Oh well. As long as I get on the plane, I'll remain happy.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@strgth wrote:
Thanks @jksobonya. Darn! Oh well. As long as I get on the plane, I'll remain happy.

I think you are misunderstanding. If you booked travel in April for flights on or after May 17 you will get the new benefits. It is retroactive, as you said. The flights just have to occur May 17 or later. Today is May 20  any flights from here on out will get the benefits regardless of when they were booked.

— Jessica

strgth
Adventurer B

I most certainly did misunderstand. Thank you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lukutu wrote:

I realize that the new Wanna Get Away plus fares rolled out this morning, but I had bought an Anytime fare before they included Early bird in it. So now that the fare INCLUDES Early bird within it do I qualify for a refund on that Earlybird purchase I already have now?

You'd have to request it, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. As discussed below with @jksobonya it is included retroactively. So it isn't like you are asking to take it back off a ticket, it's been provided which seems like a slightly different case than just asking for a refund.

Whether these requests are being approved I don't know. But I'd recommend to ask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Maybe at a minimum they can issue you a luv voucher for the cost of EB check in if not a refund this situation reminds me of the 1st year I earned a list I bought EB for the return when I would have been A List unnecessarily I reached out and they refunded me (6 years a go) 

IMO your request is reasonable and I think it’s worth sending an email or social media message to SW. worse case they reject your request