Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: New Southwest App incompatible with my device

n4ft
Explorer C

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I'm using Samsung Galaxy Avant phone. Can you look into that as well please? Thank you in advance.

treyster
Explorer C

I have Droid Razr Maxx phone - version 4.4.2, app works fine.

I have Samsung tablet - version 4.4.4, app no longer compatible.

6/28/2017

itsmeicy
Explorer C

I have an Android  Motorola Droid Maxx  4.4.4 and I too get a message that the new Southwest App is incompatible with my device.   The 4.4.4 is the most up to date version of this device.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned before, the Southwest app requires Android 5.0 and up.

The current version of Android is 7.1.2, meaning that 4.x.x. is three generations old at this point.

For older phones running older versions of Android, your best bet is to use the mobile website via browser.

moreofless
Adventurer C

Many of us do not want to go out an buy a new device just because one app (Southwest) does not seem interested in our business. I can do a lot more complex things with my device than the Southwest app does. Southwest has just decided to abandon this group of customers. The arrogance shown by Southwest IT does not fit with the rest of the Southwest image.

hus4154
Explorer C

Let me make sure I understand thie.  I have a Samsung Elite, less than 3 years old, and the new Southwest app that was just released will not run on my phone?  When I upgraded the app, the existing app disappeared.  When I queried on Google, the app appeared but was not recognized.  So I can't use a Southwest app any more?

dfetterman1
Explorer C

My Android IS 5.0 and up.  The phone is only 2 years old.  So, throw out every 2 years just to please SWA?  Hard to believe that SWA employee says use another airline if you don't like it.  Not the SWA I remember..... My company would fire me for saying junk like that.  Wow, unbelievable.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfetterman1  use the mobile website, it has almost all of the same features as the app.  Just go to www.southwest.com in your web browser.  Depending on your carrier and model of phone you may also be able to get a software update.  System updates are super valuable just for the security updates, but would also help with incompatibility issues like this.  Sadly, 2 year old technology without any updates is going to have many problems.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dfetterman1 wrote:

My Android IS 5.0 and up.  The phone is only 2 years old.  So, throw out every 2 years just to please SWA?   

Your phone may be two years old , but your OS is   6 years old. Android 5.0 was released 6 years ago today.

Moral of the story: verify the OS version before buying a new phone.

Most people buying new moderate to high priced phones with Android 5.0 would have done so in 2014 or 2015 -- giving them over five years to have a useable SW app.

GrumpyOldMan
Explorer A

You verify the Android version, and check the requirements stated for the app.

Your device meets the requirements (Android 6.0 or newer) and it still won't install.

What's up with that?