Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: New Southwest App incompatible with my device

dfwskier
Aviator A

@GrumpyOldMan wrote:

The only reason to require 7.0 is that the app coders are un-skilled.  You-all could be doing better.

I don't know fo sure why this happens, but my guess is

1) Making the app viable across a bunch of versions significantly increases the complexities of the app - potentially decreasing the stability of it

2) Doing so increase the cost of doing so.

The airline wouldn't do this if there were lots of users of the older OS versions. I would imagine that the airline has made a decision to not spend a lot of money for a few users.

As I said upthread, if you don't like the situation, contact the airline directly via one of the methods listed under "contact us" below.

I use android 7.0.i so I'll be obsoleted about this time next year. My then 5 year old phone will have served me well. Then I'll buy a new one - assuming my old one doesn't die of old age first.

edit add: it appears that as of May, the percentage of active android phones in the US that are using android 7 or better is somewhere around 90%. Android 6  (about 5%) makes up half of the remaining 10%

https://gs.statcounter.com/android-version-market-share/mobile-tablet/united-states-of-america

davorose
Explorer C

Same here.  I installed the app months ago on my Galaxy S4 because I could no longer browse the website without getting an SSL connection error.  Now I cannot use the app.

Please fix.

Thanks

rfburke03
Explorer C

Does NOT work on my Galaxy 5s....

ilgoldstein
Explorer C

It isn't so much an incompatability with the phone as it is with the operating system on the phone.  The app now requires Android 5.x.  It looks like there is an update for the S4 (at least from Sprint.)  I've not installed it on my phone because it is rooted and I don't want to lose root.  I'll wait for my son the phone guru to help with that.  On my last trip I used the moble site.  I created a shortcut for my home screen.  It work pretty well.

I wouldn't assume Southwest decided to update the app to shut out those of us with Android 4.x.  It is probably the developer of the app.

Interestingly enough, the Costco app recently updated and it required Android 5.x to I couldn't use that.  A few weeks later, Google Play's listing showed the required verision as "varies with device" and I was able to install that.

munson151979
Explorer C

I had app for Southwest, that's all I fly, now I can't use app for my Samsung straight talk phone

jonathan1138
Explorer C

Me too. The "new" Southwest Airlines app (already a year old according to this site) used to work fine but no longer works on my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. And there's been no fix even after all these months of comments on this "community forum. " BUT, Southwest does have a link here (on this site, in the green banner at the top of the initial post) saying "Solved! Go to Solution."  BUT, when you click on the link, it just brings you back to this page, where no solution is offered. All of these people (me too) are asking How can we check in using our phones if the app. no longer works on our phones???

And how long does it take to fix that? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jonathan1138wrote:

...BUT, Southwest does have a link here (on this site, in the green banner at the top of the initial post) saying "Solved! Go to Solution."  BUT, when you click on the link, it just brings you back to this page, where no solution is offered. All of these people (me too) are asking How can we check in using our phones if the app. no longer works on our phones???

And how long does it take to fix that? 

Marking a topic solved means that the question was answered, which in this case was that the older operating system wouldn't be supported.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

moreofless
Adventurer C

Thank you for your ARROGANCE. I guess the Southwest reputation for customer service did not make it to the team which manages the APP.  This problem is NOT SOLVED!

By the way, all of my other APPS work and my phone works fine. No need for me to throw away a perfecly fine phone.

Explorer C

My Southwest app stopped working two weeks ago and says, " This device isn't compatible. " Then when I go to update to the new Southwest app it says the same thing....Not Compatible ! Please fix this for Android OS.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The "fix" is to upgrade your phone operating system or get a new phone. The minimum requirement to run the Southwest app is an operating system that is over 3 years old and it's the oldest version still supported by Google.