MY ANDROID WILL NOT LOAD THE NEW APP- I HAVE A MOTX-2ND GEN

Highlighted

Re: New Southwest App incompatible with my device

New Arrival

Jitterbug smartphone

Highlighted

New Arrival

I also have just received the "not compatible" message on my Galaxy 4....bummer.  (Sept 2018)

After reading all the comments about this, I checked my OS. It's 5.0. Supposed to work but doesn't.

What's up Southwest?

Highlighted

New Arrival

Lindsey - - - This is most aggravating. #1 I am being told my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone is incompatible with the most recent update of the SWA app and yet it refuses to allow me to open my old app. The old app has been "retired to the hanger", how very funny NOT!!!  #2 I understand the older version that was compatible with my device is no longer available in the Google Play Store. #3 I check the Community and find your thread which has many other complaints just like mine. There is a little box that says "SOLVED" which provides me with momentary optimism. I click on the solved box but all it does is list the many other complaints once again. I still see no solution to my problem. Can you please email me or send me a link to whatever is the solution to this problem? Why not just allow the old version to remain on the Google Play store. I had to uninstall the SWA app and now I have nothing on my phone. Please get back to me with some kind of answer on this - - - and I really hope it is NOT to buy a new phone. My Galaxy S4 is the best phone I have ever had, it still works remarkably well, I have had no other apps or upgrades tell me they are incompatible with my phone.

Highlighted

Top Contributor
Solution

In situations where the app no longer works on your phone, using the mobile website provides most of the same functionality. 

https://mobile.southwest.com/

--TheMiddleSeat

Highlighted

New Arrival

I agree with this . Most frustrating!  I loved the old app & it worked perfectly on my phone. I have a flight tomorrow so I went to the app to get my boarding pass. Got the message old app had been retired. New app is incompatible with my 3 year old Moto G phone. WTF!! So frustrating for customers.

Is there a list of which phones it is compatible with? I am not getting a new phone just for this app.

Southwest- please have your programmers make an app that is more universal.  Yes I can go to the mobile webstite, but it is much slower.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Employee
Employee

Hey @s00znd

We are so sorry for the inconvenience! The mobile website is your best bet for now. 

Highlighted

New Arrival

So "the best bet for now" pretty means "for now and forever"  I mean c'mon a lot of folks go out and have to get a new phone as soon as a new version comes out. You know like Samsung S-5, S-6, S-7, S-8, S-9........................................S-115, etc. My wife's kinda like that. I'm NOT. Granted my phone's a few years old however EVERY app except Southwest now, after the "upgrade" works fine. To me it seems like an "if it ain't broke why fix it" situation. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@Retired_CPO wrote:

So "the best bet for now" pretty means "for now and forever"  I mean c'mon a lot of folks go out and have to get a new phone as soon as a new version comes out. You know like Samsung S-5, S-6, S-7, S-8, S-9........................................S-115, etc. My wife's kinda like that. I'm NOT. Granted my phone's a few years old however EVERY app except Southwest now, after the "upgrade" works fine. To me it seems like an "if it ain't broke why fix it" situation. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Afternoon. 

I understand and share your frustration.

It appears that Southwest redoes it's app as newer version of the OS come on line. Sometimes in order to be compatible with the newest OS, code is changed and that code makes the new version of the app incompatible with older versions of the OS. The current version of the app requires at least Android 6.0.

So the airline has to choose between app versions that are usable by the many people using newer versions of the OS, or the fewer that are using older versions of the OS. It apparently cannot do both.

You do have an option. Don't use the Southwest app. Do use one of your phone's browsers to access southwest.com.

Good luck

Highlighted

New Arrival

I had to reload the Southwest App on my Samsung S6 Android phone. It now tells me the app isn't compatible with the version available at Google Play. Is there another version or workaround.