Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Newark NJ

cobico8111
Explorer C

Been traveling all over the US with SW for the last two years and I do admit that it's my favorite airline. Prompt flight schedule, friendly crew, nice people all over.   

For some reason the management decided to cancel flights going from Newark,NJ which personally made me feel extremely insulted. 

I felt like I was punished for something that I didn't do, and yes, I was angry.

As a result my last flight to CA was from Laguardia which was a nightmare  mostly because of the commute from NJ to NY and all that's involved. 

I wish somebody will realize the injustice that was made to the people of NJ and will get back to your original Terminal A in Newark.

If this policy will go on I will have no choice and start looking for airlines that use Newark as one of their destination.

yours truly

Jacob Levy 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Newark NJ

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi Jacob. I feel your pain.

Don't take it personally. At the time the decision was made, Southwest was short of planes due to the Max grounding. It decided that it had to stop flying somewhere in order to keep flying to other places, and in the case of Hawaii, to start flying there with enough frequency

to justify opening the state to Southwest flights.

Things sure are different today. No airline is short of planes. Thousands are inactive and parked. About 400 SW planes are parked. The problem now is that few people  are flying, and to start service (or in the case of Newark, restart service) when the airline can expect few passengers to fly is an expensive process.

This is a customer to customer forum. Thus I'd suggest that you contact the airline to let it know that you'd like to see service restarted. Here's how you do that:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

Re: Newark NJ

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cobico8111 wrote:

Been traveling all over the US with SW for the last two years and I do admit that it's my favorite airline. Prompt flight schedule, friendly crew, nice people all over.   

For some reason the management decided to cancel flights going from Newark,NJ which personally made me feel extremely insulted. 

I felt like I was punished for something that I didn't do, and yes, I was angry.

As a result my last flight to CA was from Laguardia which was a nightmare  mostly because of the commute from NJ to NY and all that's involved. 

I wish somebody will realize the injustice that was made to the people of NJ and will get back to your original Terminal A in Newark.

If this policy will go on I will have no choice and start looking for airlines that use Newark as one of their destination.

yours truly

Jacob Levy 

As you have probably figured out, Southwest is mostly looking to get people to NYC and not primarily looking at the local traffic. This article from the Cranky Flier might help explain:

https://crankyflier.com/2019/08/01/why-southwest-is-leaving-newark/

I'm curious - where did you travel from Newark?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.