Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Newark - please reopen!

anneoften
Explorer C

EWR - Newark  is such a great way to get to NYC!  SW, please go back there as soon as you can afford it.  Cutting out Newark cuts out half my SW travel, and SWA is absolutely my favorite airline.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Newark - please reopen!

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I suspect a lot of people would like to see SW at Newark.

For the time being, due to the MAX grounding and the return of some leased planes to the lessor, SW is short a lot of planes -- in excess of 10% of the fleet.. The airline can't fly everywhere it would like to fly when it is missing more than 1 out of every 10 planes it had been expecting to fly. Perhaps EWR will be added when SW starts getting planes back in service.

As a reminder, this is a customer to customer forum. You might want to provide your opinion to the airline. To do so click on "contact us" (below), and then pick your preferred contact method from those listed on the top left of the ensuing page.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

I suspect a lot of people would like to see SW at Newark.

For the time being, due to the MAX grounding and the return of some leased planes to the lessor, SW is short a lot of planes -- in excess of 10% of the fleet.. The airline can't fly everywhere it would like to fly when it is missing more than 1 out of every 10 planes it had been expecting to fly. Perhaps EWR will be added when SW starts getting planes back in service.

As a reminder, this is a customer to customer forum. You might want to provide your opinion to the airline. To do so click on "contact us" (below), and then pick your preferred contact method from those listed on the top left of the ensuing page.

I think that was a permanent trade, so even when the planes come back the gates/slots are given up for good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2021/09/17/newark-airport-runway-rights-new-york-...

However, I just flew through LGA last week and things are looking up there for sure, the new terminal is an amazing transformation compared to the previous cramped facility. 

LGA seems to be thriving and I don't foresee any return to EWR unless Southwest acquired gates/slots by taking over someone or buying their spots outright. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

amcdonald27
Explorer C

We miss Southwest! Without you in Newark my family has not been able to travel as much.  SW has always been a safe and friendly airline, that my family is very comfortable with.  Please come back soon!!