Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No Refund due to Pandemic

LJinTexas
Explorer C

I purchased 2 tickets for my 78 year old mother back in February so she could visit my sister in Florida. The trip(s) were not put on my RR account for some reason. The trip was scheduled for March 20th. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, my mother was unable to go as her age and other health issues made her a high risk. Southwest said the tickets could be used at another time, however, they have to be used by my mother.

My mom contacted Southwest again to see if the tickets could be transferred to my sister's name so she can come see our mother - the representative said, "No!"  My mom explained that she may not get another chance to see my sister, the representative simply said, "Sorry to hear that."  

So my mother does not get to see her other daughter because she is unable to travel but Southwest gets free money. Due to the pandemic I am sure we all have a couple hundred plus dollars laying around to give a company for no reason.

I am so disappointed in Southwest and the lack of compassion for the elderly.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: No Refund due to Pandemic

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Hi,

Really sorry to hear of this. This is peer-to-peer, so maybe DMing the airline on social media might help reach a different team.

I'll note that Southwest now allows you to convert travel funds into points. With this, your mom can now use her points for someone else's ticket. Would that help at all?

[Any qualified travel fund that expires September 7, 2022 can now be turned into Rapid Rewards points. Since Rapid Rewards points never expire, you can use your new points whenever you want. Check if you have qualified funds soon—you can only convert your qualified funds through December 15, 2020.]

Stay safe!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Cwilli
Explorer C

I have the same problem. I have written letters and have had no luck. Bought a ticket for my friend and I to attend a convention which was cancelled due to pandemic. I bought the tickets and they will not refund the one I bought for my friend. She will not be able to use it at all. I just spoke to an agent who was so condescending and rude. I have been flying southwest for over 30 years. I am done! So now they get an extra $350 instead of refunding to the person who bought the ticket. I had a 69 minute wait on the phone to be treated so rudely! Horrible.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Cwilli wrote:

I have the same problem. I have written letters and have had no luck. Bought a ticket for my friend and I to attend a convention which was cancelled due to pandemic. I bought the tickets and they will not refund the one I bought for my friend. She will not be able to use it at all. I just spoke to an agent who was so condescending and rude. I have been flying southwest for over 30 years. I am done! So now they get an extra $350 instead of refunding to the person who bought the ticket. I had a 69 minute wait on the phone to be treated so rudely! Horrible.

Sorry you are disappointed in the funds being non transferable. This policy is the same with every other airline I am aware of with non refundable tickets the funds stay with the ticketed passenger. 

Luckily Southwest just introduced the new way for you to convert travel funds to rapid reward points so i would have your friend make a rapid rewards account and they can convert the travel funds to points which your friend can then use those points to buy a ticket for you. 

You can read more about the converting travel funds to points here: Converting Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards Points 

-Blake