Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No enforcement of mask rule

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Actually, I'm a Community Champion here. 😉

Name calling is seriously childish, and is sadly often the last resort of those who cannot make a cogent argument.

Southwest continues to have one of the most strict mask policies of any air carrier, and while enforcement can sometimes be variable, most reports on social media and online forums are that crews are indeed following policy.

Sweety-D
Explorer A

I'll just say this again ... it doesn't change my point that people are not always wearing masks on flights.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The point that "people are not always wearing masks on flights" is significantly different from "50% of people on every flight I've been on, 2x a week, are not wearing masks."

😉

Sadly, I do agree that people are not always wearing masks on some flights. Sometimes people remove it to eat or drink, and then eat or drink very slowly. It's a loophole. Others just refuse to wear it, for a multitude of misguided reasons. Enforcement is certainly a challenge for FAs, and, unfortunately, there are certainly some FAs who fail to follow policy and enforce to the level they should.

But the policy remains in place. For good reason.

Personally, I think it's just arrogantly rude to not wear a mask on a plane. On top of being a written, published policy that I'm asked to follow in order to travel, I respect crew members too much to add to their exposure risk. Mask wearing helps protect them, along with the other passengers on the plane.

If we want to get to the other side of this panedemic we need to reduce the numbers of new infections, and masks have been proven to help reduce transmission of the virus. It's so sad that mask wearing has become so politicized in the US that people choose to be willfully ignorant, to disregard scientific evidence in favor of supporting a political position (or personal preference) that actively risks their health. It's astonishing.

Sweety-D
Explorer A

For the 10th time I'll say this again ... it doesn't change my point that people are not always wearing masks on flights. Get over it. You've got to move on and let it go. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Sweety-D wrote:

For the 10th time I'll say this again ... it doesn't change my point that people are not always wearing masks on flights. Get over it. You've got to move on and let it go. 

I literally agreed with you in my last post.

Sweety-D
Explorer A

No, you nitpicked over my 50% statement (which I already recanted) and added a sarcastic wink. Then you proceeded with a contradicting statement about hating people politicizing the masks. All the while, you are the only one talking about this being political. Nice try though. 😉

Meanwhile I'm on my 4th flight in the last 7 days, witnessing people not wearing their masks. This was my only point, there is nothing to agree or disagree with. I stated a fact and you brought up completely unrelated topics. The facts don't care about thoughts, ideas or feelings.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Have a great day!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

hey Sweetie-D, please post your upcoming flights, as it seems you're the common denominator of flights that people don't wear masks on, I DON'T, want to be on the flights you seem to fly.  Let's not overcomplicate this, I've been on 8 flights, getting on another this Friday, and I'm sure that I won't see any issues of folks wearing masks.   

DebbieD
Explorer C

Masks do not protect you. Masks cause headaches headaches and increased respiratory infections abound.  If you are sick or afraid please don’t travel.  Free the rest of us.  Freedom of choice. Not fear of each other.  Even if masks worked if you pee in the corner of the pool it still goes everywhere right.  Ever fog you glasses up?  Obviously masks don’t protect you

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

To each their own.  Obviously, you can google more data that masks work to protect me, and for me to protect you!  If you pee in the pool just a tiny fraction, due to the chlorine (a mask) any urine will make it out of that corner.  FYI, Google is a free app that you can find "If masks work or not." If you find that more Medical Doctors than not, (not knuckleheads like us) agree masks don't work, I'll buy you dinner.  Yes, for some people with respiratory issues,  it might be an issue, those people shouldn't FLY right now let alone leave their house.