Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No refund as Covid alarm was first announced across country

txusgrl
Explorer B

To:  dfwskier

Contributors making the same the same argument over and over does not make it reasonable or true.  I repeat, I was diligent in calling SWA about my ticket and received a definitive answer.  It is not reasonable that a consumer has to continually patrol a company website they have purchased something from in case of policy changes. 

I will also repeat, SWA is the only company that did not notify consumers that had purchased tickets of any policy changes.  

Glad you enjoy helping travelers on SWA.  I prefer helping the food bank, the elderly and the humane society. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@txusgrl wrote:

To:  dfwskier

Glad you enjoy helping travelers on SWA.  I prefer helping the food bank, the elderly and the humane society. 

Oh, I do that too - rather significantly.

Sorry that you are unhappy.

txusgrl
Explorer B

To: dfwskier

Unhappy only with SWA.  Bye.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@txusgrl 

Given that you are not happy with Southwest's response you should contact them directly, Contact Customer Relations   This is a customer to customer forum and helpful contributors such as @dfwskier and @chgoflyer can only provide you with information about how Southwest has handled things and ways to help customers navigate the system.  There's no point in arguing with them when it's Southwest's policies you are unhappy with.

--TheMiddleSeat

txusgrl
Explorer B

To:  The MiddleSeat

I agree that it is generally useless to argue with community members.  My intention was to simply post my view on SWA policies during this pandemic, nothing more, until others took up the gauntlet.  I’ve already contacted SWA customer service to no avail.  Thank you for your concern.  The end.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@txusgrl wrote:

To:  The MiddleSeat

I agree that it is generally useless to argue with community members.  My intention was to simply post my view on SWA policies during this pandemic, nothing more, until others took up the gauntlet.  I’ve already contacted SWA customer service to no avail.  Thank you for your concern.  The end.

If think that when one posts online their view on something -- anything -- they should absolutely expect others to reply with their views as well. Whether those are in agreement, or a difference of opinion, or a correction of factual error. Yes, online communication seems to amplify polarized debate, but I've found that approaching any online community as a source of potential information can be incredibly helpful.

Unfortunately it's too late for the much-discussed funds extension work-around to help you now. But, there is a way to recover lost travel funds that many customers aren't aware of, that is often detailed here for those in situations where it may help. It's a shame that you've decided to say goodbye.

txusgrl
Explorer B

to:  chgoflyer.

I also agree with you in that a spirited conversation regarding anything, especially one that clearly draws on ethics, should be encouraged by companies and individuals.  In life and history we frequently question the status quo where doing the right thing transcends policy or law and this is how change comes about.  It is one of my great pleasures in life to read or hear from someone that makes me say, I never thought of that or yes, I can also see their viewpoint.  

I just wanted to thank you for your comment and say goodbye.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@txusgrl wrote:

I will also repeat, SWA is the only company that did not notify consumers that had purchased tickets of any policy changes.  

Sorry, but this is blatantly false information. Southwest had COVID-19 policies and updates for cancelled flights and travel funds right on the homepage of Southwest.com, in bold lettering, it was impossible to miss. In fact, it's still there. They had a very clear written policy on travel funds being extended until September 2022 if a flight was cancelled by September 7, 2020. Since we are now past that deadline, I will copy and paste the current information for you: 

https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/?clk=CORONAVIRUS_TA&cbid=5228061

Canceling your Southwest flight Updated October 26, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. CT.

Beginning September 8, 2020, any travel funds created from a nonrefundable, Wanna Get Away® ticket can be used for up to one year from the original purchase date.

Travel funds with an expiration date of September 7, 2022, can be converted into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today.

To qualify, your travel fund a) must expire on September 7, 2022, b) name must match the name on your Rapid Rewards account, and c) must have originated from a ticket purchased on Southwest.com®, booked by a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative, or approved by your employer. You must request to convert your travel fund by December 15, 2020. Conversion is non-reversible. When travel funds are converted to Rapid Rewards points, these points will not count toward earning tier status nor earning Companion Pass®. Rapid Rewards points cannot be used to pay taxes or fees.

Since Rapid Rewards points never expire, you can use your new points whenever you want. Check if you have qualified travel funds soon — you can only convert your qualified travel funds through December 15, 2020.

When reusing your travel funds with an extended expiration date of September 7, 2022

It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the original purchase date.

For example:

• Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.

--Jessica

txusgrl
Explorer B

to Jksobonya

Another Möbius strip reply.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@txusgrl  I mean really, during the pandemic almost everybody I know did checking on everything related to costing them money.