Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No refund as Covid alarm was first announced across country

sharonrose
Explorer B

Such ARROGANCE on the part of the CHGOFLYER post..." mean, really... it was not that hard to read the information Southwest emailed & posted, and realize that you could just use your funds for a flight and then cancel it, which extended your funds good through September 7, 2022l".  Why would any honest and ethical person have booked a FAKE flight?  Original rules on SW are that if you rebook a cancelled flight and then cancel that NEW flight the expiration dates stayed the SAME as the original expiration.  They did not explain that this started a NEW expiration period.  And I didn't book a FAKE flight just to game the system.  People were dealing with this situation ethically and honestly and were screwed by SW who seems to only reward the sneaky people who gamed the system and found a trick.  Good for you poster that you are a devious person who benefitted.  But there are others who acted honestly and ethically and didn't game the system and are being screwed by SW because they didn't find the tricks and fake booking ploys.  

NOLA1206
Explorer A

So, all this is well and dandy if you booked a flight after covid began. What about people who, like myself, had travel funds that were expiring in 2020? Mine were set to expire on November 3, 2020 and when I called customer service, I was told that expiring funds will not be given an extension.  I don't fall under their criteria!!!! What about all these people in the same boat as I am, who could not fly all these months due to corona? We get  NO COMPENSATION.... TOUGH LUCK....TOO BAD!!!!!

Sure, I can pay the $100.00 fee for a lousy 6 month TF extension, but why should I when SW was falling all over themselves to give 2 year extensions/rapid rewards to people whose flights were canceled during a specific range of dates??? I understand that many people have decided to start traveling again, but unfortunately, not everyone can.

SW take care of all of your customers, not just some.

sharonrose
Explorer B

Such arrogance on the part of the responder.  You are saying that just because we didn't know the tricks and secret ways to have your funds extended that we deserve to be screwed.  You should be ashamed.  You are clearly a frequent travel and have been on this site for some time so you know all the ways to game the system.  I just joined this site and see all the arrogant comments by people like you.  Makes me think you are a Southwest shill trying to make it seem like its OUR fault we didn't know the secret rules.  Your kind suggested all we had to do was book another flight and cancel it between March and September.  According to the original rules on SW even if you did that the ORIGINAL expiration date (in my case December 10, 2020) would apply.  Why would I think that a trick would work?  Why is Southwest only rewarding the secret insiders who know the tricks?  I don't want a refund -- I want to USE my funds which will expire on Decem ber 10th in 2020.  They told me I should just get on a plane and fly -- even though I'm nearly 70 and at high risk.  They offered me no tricky workarounds.  Guess they figure I was too dumb to find the secret tricks -- and they were right.  Guess I am too dumb to think that they would only take care of the savvy people who sussed out workarounds and tricks to get SW to do the right thing.  I just need for SW to extend these funds to next year when it will be safe for a 70 year old to get on a plane.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

bamacass
Explorer B

@sharonrose 

My sentiments exactly! Why should we have to figure a way to finagle the system? I also spoke to Southwest and no such workaround was mentioned. Additionally, I rebooked, using part of my credit for a trip scheduled for October. I am 68 and my 89-year-old parent lives with me.  It was October when my doctor told me I should not travel so I did not have the option of canceling prior to September 7.

My travel funds expired on November 7.

I would have been happy to accept points instead of a refund, but that was not an option. This whole thing has changed my opinion of Southwest. I am inclined to agree with the writer who suggested a class action suit.

Shawnjae
Explorer C

I think it would be excellent customer service, due to the pandemic, to refund people their money. Right now, no one wants credit. With deaths, hospitalization, and lost of jobs on the rise. 

It's not like you would not fly with them again. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Shawnjae wrote:

See my reply to your almost identical post in this thread:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Reservations/Refund-instead-of-Credit/m-p/113700#M2110

Diva23rc
Explorer C

This same exact thing has happened to me.  Only I’m a medical professional, working in the medical field with patients Covid positive and patients not Covid positive. It was not smart for me to even think about trying to use those funds. Not for even myself but for the airline crews and other passengers. I was too busy working because as most know the medical field is desperate for healthcare workers because too many of them are getting sick or are high risk and can’t work. So despite all of that, it’s refreshing to know that southwest thinks I should have taken that trip and spread the mutant Covid virus’ further and infected more people. Or brought the virus back to my hospital to float it around there. Or perhaps i could have caught it and then what? The hospital would be out one less tech working the floor to get the lab work done on the patients. All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using southwest because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors. And spare me the whole- you had 6 months crap (people that keep bringing that up you are ridiculous) I don’t have time to surf the southwest website on a daily basis to find out this information. I feel that they should have notified every customer by email, phone or letter of that option. I got nothing. No notice whatsoever. It should have been a common courtesy to do so and make sure all of your loyal customers are informed. But nope they didn’t and now are going to blame me for not knowing. I would be fine having one less airline to dig in my wallet when I’m not looking. 

Diva23rc
Explorer C

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Diva23rc wrote:

All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using southwest because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors.

If your ticket had been on American you would be saying '  All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using american because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors.

if your ticket had been on United you would be saying '  All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using united because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors.

If your ticket had been on Delta you would be saying '  All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using delta because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors.

If your ticket had been on Jet Blue you would be saying '  All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using Jet Blue because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors.

If your ticket had been on Alaska you would be saying '  All in all it’s a bum deal and no medical professional in my hospital will be using Alaska because I’ve gone on rants about this to several areas of nurses and doctors.

See a pattern here? Every airline would have treated you the same way Southwest did.

Actually Southwest provided it's passengers far more flexibility than EVERY other airline. It's your money. It's your ticket. You are responsible for taking care of matters related to that ticket. No one is going to do it for you.

Look, I thank you for your service, and am sorry you are going thru this, but the fact of the matter is you bought a NON REFUNDABLE ticket. You got a cheap fare and in return you agreed to some restrictions. Sometimes non refundable tickets come back to bite you in the butt.

If you don't like the restrictions, then buy a refundable ticket next time.