Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Off boarding instructions necessary

Nomads
Explorer C

We just relocated to Atlanta and have just witnessed (for third time) a disrespectful rushing of passengers, pushing their way through the aisle to disembark. If are to be be lectured about social distancing as we board let’s do the same as we disembark please.

For the record, we fly exclusively SW at least ten times a month and have not witnessed this level of rudeness in any other airports. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Off boarding instructions necessary

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Nomads Well, I'm on your side on this one, but honestly, that will never happen on SWA or any other airlines.  Like you, I fly multiple airlines depending on where I'm going, so yes, I have the ability to make that informed comment.  When I sit in the aisle, I make it a point to lift up the armrest and swivel my legs out into the aisle so those that are in rows behind me that try and push forward can't get by without pushing my legs out of the way, which I won't allow.  Yes, it's inviting confrontation, which as I age am more reluctant to do, but some dogs just can't be retrained.  Staying on topic, even with any well made plan I could come up with if I was in charge of this issue, I just don't see that ever changing even when F.A. do make the announcements. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

In general I agree with your post. It is disrespectful fr passengers to push and shove their way to the front of the plane to deplane...

That being said, there might be a reason for the behavior. People that have tight connections that are afraid that they'll miss their connecting flight might be inclined to do what you saw. 

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

I remember when SWA used to give off boarding instructions.

As the plane taxied to the gate the stewardess would say, “Please remain seated until the Captain turns off the seatbelt sign. Then everyone jump into the isle and push and shove your way to the door. Remember, the harder you push the faster you’ll get out.”

True story. 

gsking
Aviator C

Our last few flights have seem to have gotten better.   Yes,  there will always be someone in the aisle who will tend to move forward.   But someone has to get their bags first.   

Of course,  when I blocked the aisle last time,  the 20 year old girl behind us begged us to let her get by to get to her next flight "that was leaving in 5 minutes".

We weren't surprised when she was on our next flight, leaving in 65 minutes... which of course we boarded first. 

Whether she was selfish or just ignorant of time zones will never be known

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think it is manners/respect more than instructions unless anyone has a feeling that many first time flyers are taking to the skies due to low fares.

I’m happy to let someone go ahead who has a short connection (our opinions on what’s short may differ) or urgent need for a bathroom. 

Traveling with the family we are usually waiting for the rush and waltzing out at the end anyway which is more comfortable and less stressful. 

The main lesson is that if you choose a seat in the rear you get off later, sorry that’s how it works. Want to get off earlier? Then pick a seat towards the front. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Nomads
Explorer C

We are both tall so we go for the exit rows or the back of the plane. Again...it’s about not being in the face of others. SW rarely schedules their flights so close that you have  to sprint off the plane.  Judging from the attitude exhibited it’s a matter of not understanding/caring of how to be nice to your neighbor. 

Briscoe0120
Explorer C

Onboarding is when a business provides new employees with training and information to help them get acclimated to their new position.

jksobonya
Aviator A

This doesn’t matter too much to me. I typically have a window seat so there’s nowhere for me to go anyway. If people want to gather in the aisles, it’s mostly fine — people just want to get their luggage so you don’t have to wait until their row is ready to deplane for them to get it.

—Jessica

Nomads
Explorer C

Thanks for your comments. But really, if they can control the onboard due to Covid they can control the off board.