Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

On hold trying to get a refund for a flight bought partially with travel fund <24 hours ago

mich_elle16
Explorer C

Hi,

I bought a flight less than 24 hours ago that I paid for partially with travel funds and the rest on my credit card. I'd like to get what I paid with my credit card back. Southwest says online "If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and canceled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact our Customer Relations department at 1-855-234-4654."

I'm on hold to try to get the flight cancelled ASAP, but the wait is over 120 minutes, I'm worried by the time the cancellation happens 24 hours will have passed since I purchased the ticket. If I cancel online and the total refund all gets converted to travel funds, can I later request a refund of what was paid with credit card back? Also, can I use the travel funds (minus the funds I want back to the credit card) before the refund is processed and still get the refund back to my credit card? Or does using any part of the total travel fund affect the credit card refund?

Appreciate the help.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: On hold trying to get a refund for a flight bought partially with travel fund <24 hours ago

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

The wording you quoted implies you cancel the flight online THEN call to sort out the refund.  

"If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and canceled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact our Customer Relations department"

Purchased...cancelled...contact

However, you didn't purchase with either a gift card or a LUV voucher, you purchased with a travel fund.  BUT, I don't think that changes anything, you should still be able to get a refund to credit card and travel fund if you cancel within the 24 hour window.  You'll still need to speak with someone to sort it out.

Regarding the question about using the fund before getting the refund I would suggest playing it safe and talking to someone before you start re-using the travel funds.

You may get a faster response if you send a private message to Southwest via Twitter or Facebook and say you cancelled a reservation within the 24 window, provide confirmation #, then say you purchased using both credit card and travel funds and would like refund to be split back to original forms of payment.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: On hold trying to get a refund for a flight bought partially with travel fund <24 hours ago

dfwskier
Aviator A

You do know that you can cancel at Southwest.com -- right?????

When you cancel online, you are given the option of choosing how you want to handle the resultant funds.

mich_elle16
Explorer C

Since I booked with both travel funds and credit card, the only option it gives me online is to get it all in travel funds. I ended up cancelling it and am going to contact the refund department.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mich_elle16 wrote:

am going to contact the refund department.

don't use the phone. You already know that is a mess.

Twitter, facebook or e-mail is the way to go.

See "contact us" below

bec102896
Aviator A

I've booked using TFs and a credit card and had to cancel within 24 hours. On the app and website it puts the non refundable portion on one section that says hold for future travel and the part I paid with my Credit card it tells me to select refund method (hold for future travel or refund to credit card) I just did this earlier this week. 

Are you sure you didn't miss the 24 hour deadline or miss the place to request a refund to your CC?

You can reach out to Southwest on Facebook or Twitter for a quicker response instead of calling. 

-Blake