Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

PLEASE NO VACCINE REQUIREMENT

pvsmith77777
New Arrival

Very soon several major airlines likely will start requiring "vaccination IDs" in order to fly their airlines. About half of the people in this country have not gotten a COVID vaccination and have no intention of getting one. This is a virus that is only slightly worse than the seasonal flu. I am asking Southwest Airlines to be the the ONE airline that will stand for freedom to permit us to fly in this country without having to have one of those IDs. If you have persons who are sitting within six inches of another passenger (still with a mask) then please tell me why it would be necessary to have a vaccination also. Please don't cater the the minority of persons in our country who are terrified of COVID--please welcome us who don't have that fear. We would still like to fly. 

32 REPLIES 32

Re: PLEASE NO VACCINE REQUIREMENT

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Pure speculation on your part thinking IDs will be required.  And if you're still comparing Covid to the flu it's clear where you are getting your information.

--TheMiddleSeat

PLEASE NO VACCINE REQUIREMENT

SWFlyer007
Rising Star

I know it's just a chance of who has it or not, but just for now, I'm with you.  But at some point in the VERY NEAR future, I won't be on your side.  I can't wait for that day when you have to provide this information.  And yes, more than 3/4 of those that I fly aren't vaccinated, so it would be an issue for me as well, but I can suck that up, and just fly with them later.  

dfwskier
Top Contributor

My guess is that the airline will require it when the federal government makes it a requirement.

imnairline will do so on its own, and run the risk of driving customers away.

gsking

Just think... Fauci wants you to wear TWO masks now.    Why?   I thought the masks were to flatten the curve.   Double masking plus the vaccine is trying to ELIMINATE the curve. 

But wait... there's a new variant.   And another.   And the vaccine may not be effective for long.   Maybe a year. 

So..... you realize you're potentially setting yourself up for ENDLESS vaccines.  Tell me one other time when a government mandate of this magnitude  was ever rescinded.  Income tax was temporary once, too.

All this for air travel... which isn't a vector anyways.

I had Covid.   I'm over it.   And I don't get the vaccine anytime soon either.   And even if I did,  I STILL have to test to travel to Hawaii or back into the country. 

Nope... not gonna do it.  Why should I hurry out to get the vaccine when I barely even get credit for it? 

jksobonya
Rising Star

This is never, ever going to be a thing - not for US domestic travel, in any event. International travel is a whole other ballgame and I'm not willing to speculate on that, but for domestic US travel? Not going to happen. 

No one can force you to take a vaccine in order to fly. The very idea is lunacy and it isn't going to be implemented. 

--Jessica

jksobonya
Rising Star

@pvsmith77777 wrote:

Please don't cater the the minority of persons in our country who are terrified of COVID--please welcome us who don't have that fear. We would still like to fly. 

Agreed. But unfortunately, it's too late for that. I've been saying for almost an entire year now that we can't give into the fears of what a mild virus can do, but it's too late. The fear has taken over most people and it's not going away.  Remember a year ago when we thought that we'd certainly be back to normal by now? Well here we are and who calls "mandating" a vaccine getting back to "normal"? I don't. This isn't what "normal" is or was. Well, we also thought it would take two weeks to slow the spread, then just wait until the summer, then the fall, then cancel Thanksgiving and Christmas, then cancel 2021 spring break, then postpone concerts and events well into 2022, then still wear masks even though you get vaccinated ... three masks ... honestly, enough. 

And my whole issue with the vaccine isn't whether or not it works or is safe, it's that because I'm healthy and in my 30s, I am in the last "group" to get it in my state. I won't be eligible for months, maybe not even until the end of this year, and I don't believe May 1 is going to suddenly change that. Why should I be vilified over something I literally have no control over? I'm not going to stop traveling because I haven't taken this vaccine. I traveled on Southwest three times since March of last year and I have plans to travel more, and I haven't gotten COVID yet. But my biggest fear now is that a vaccine is going to become the ultimate divider - people are not going to want to be around you now if you aren't vaccinated. To me, that's so terrifying. Honestly, I fear not only for this country, or the future of airlines and hospitality, but for all of humanity, if this is the path we're choosing to go down. 

--Jessica

bwallet

Get a vaccine. It is free, safe, and it protects you and everyone around you. Where I live in Oklahoma, there are appointments going unfilled now. As of Monday, everyone is eligible. It is worst than the flu, but even if it was just like the flu, you should still be getting a flu vaccine. Heck, make vaccines for flu (and MMR) also required to fly. I'd support that.

Personally, as someone who flies every week, I'm going to keep wearing a mask, and I would be very happy if mask mandates in airports and on flights became permanent. It is mildly inconvenient at best, and it saves lives. Do you realize how many people die in a typical year form the flu? The flu season was basically eliminated this year. 

gsking

Masks all the time?   No way.   Never get the flu shot, never get the flu.   Now because some people have weak immune systems, I have to wear a mask on a plane, en perpetuity?   No thanks. 

Perhaps the reason for all the weak immune systems are people being too averse to germs.

Ugh... scope creep of the worst kind. 

A universal 55mph speed limit has the same rationale and implications... and we got rid of that

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

Vaccines save lives.

If we would have had actual national leadership at the start of the pandemic, and if people would have thought about others as much as they do themselves, and acted appropriately, the US would be back to normal by now. Instead we have people who think they know more than experts, who have literally spent their lives studying infectious diseases, because they read something online their cousin posted. It's insanity.