Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PLEASE NO VACCINE REQUIREMENT

Redneck1
Explorer B

I’m good with that!

Consultant
Explorer A

I won't fly Southwest if they require a Vaccine.   I will buy my own twin turboprop private plane if needed and Southwest will have lost an A-List customer.  Airlines have tremendous lobbying power.  It is time they used it to save their business.  

I have taken many vaccines.  I also know a lot about testing methodologies in corporations.  Testing, especially drug testing, cannot be rushed and it was.  I don't trust that the vaccine is being handled properly and kept below -13 to -94 F (depending upon the manufacturer).  I'm not willing to trust people with a cart blanche exemption from liability with my life.  

I am watching my aunt's health deteriorate rapidly after her second shot.  The doctors don't expect her to live another month.  She was in good health before the vaccine.  I have had COVID.  I think the virus is safer.  At least in my case. "My body, my choice!"  Hasn't that been the mantra for decades?  Has it suddenly become an inconvenient truth? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry t hear abut your aunt. I hope her health turns and she begins to improve.

In my opinion, no airline will unilaterally impose a vaccine requirement unless the feds  say they must. Why? Because some people would change to   airlines that do not impose the requirement. You are proof of that. If feds say passengers MUST be vaccinated, then airlines will ALL enforce the rule.

If that happens, your options will be car or private plane. You likely would not be able to take  a train. The mask rule applies there. I suspect a vaccine requirement would too.

gsking
Aviator C

Not that this is the place to discuss it but... relax.   As illogical as their rules are,  I don't see them getting "worse".

Hundreds of thousands of people fly every day with masks.   No notable transmission risk. 

They only require you to get tested to visit islands, not to fly.  Why would they then require you get vaccinated to fly?   And by the time they COULD because most are vaccinated,  the risk is past based on herd immunity because most are vaccinated. 

Some destinations may decide to require vaccine passports, but I don't see airlines themselves requiring them.   But then, I'm being logical. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Most domestic flights aren't that long either, so the total duration of exposure is less which is probably one factor (plus masks) that have kept transmission rates down on flights as far as we can tell.

On a several day cruise, or longer international flight of 6+ hours, the duration is getting much longer if someone got on there there was infected. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

seahorseflight
Explorer C

It is really important vaccines are NOT required.  I will not be able to fly SW if you do this. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@seahorseflight If you cannot get a vaccine for a medical reason that can be well documented and justified, then perhaps there could be some kind of waiver program for a very, very limited number of people.

ngo_bias
Explorer C

Does anyone remember the H1N1 virus outbreak from 2009? No? The CDC states that it killed 575,000 Americans of all ages.

Why didn't the airlines require H1N1 vaccine passports back then?

Why? Because Trump was not president then, that's why.

H1N1 came and went and so too will Sars2 Covid-19.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Why is this still being discussed?  It's not happening for domestic travel.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ngo_bias wrote:

Does anyone remember the H1N1 virus outbreak from 2009? No? The CDC states that it killed 575,000 Americans of all ages.

Why didn't the airlines require H1N1 vaccine passports back then?

Why? Because Trump was not president then, that's why.

H1N1 came and went and so too will Sars2 Covid-19.

I hate to even reply to someone who is obviously trolling here (there are too many outright lies in these posts to be anything otherwise) but just in case a casual reader thinks there's any merit to the "H1N1 vs COVID-19 response = anti-Trump politics" argument:

Although they’re caused by different viruses, both 2009 H1N1 influenza and COVID-19 are respiratory illnesses that are transmitted in the same way. There’s also a lot of overlap in symptoms, complications, and risk factors for serious illness. However, COVID-19 is more likely to cause serious illness than 2009 H1N1 influenza and has led to more deaths worldwide. It’s also more contagious than 2009 H1N1 influenza.

2009 H1N1 InfluenzaCOVID-19
Year started – year ended2009–20102020–present
Worldwide deathsabout 284,000 in the first 12 monthsabout 2,000,000 in the first 12 months
Virus2009 H1N1 influenza virusSARS-CoV-2 coronavirus
Transmissionrespiratory droplets, contact with contaminated surfaces, asymptomatic spreadrespiratory droplets, contact with contaminated surfaces, asymptomatic spread
Contagiousnessless contagious than COVID-19, contagious from 1 day before symptoms begin until 5 to 7 days after becoming sickmore contagious than 2009 H1N1 influenza, contagious from 2 days before symptoms begin until 10 days after testing positive
Symptomsfever and chills, fatigue, cough, body aches and pains, headache, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, digestive symptoms like diarrhea and vomitingsimilar symptoms to 2009 H1N1 influenza, but also includes loss of smell and taste
Symptom onsetsudden after 1 to 4 daysgradual after 2 to 14 days
Age group most impactedpeople younger than 30adults over age 30
Illness severity94–98 percent mild80 percent mild, 20 percent severe or critical
Risk factorsbeing 65 years or older, being younger than 5 years old, being pregnant, having certain underlying health conditionsbeing 65 years or older, being pregnant, having certain underlying health conditions
Complicationspneumonia, worsening of underlying health conditions, secondary bacterial infections, respiratory failure, inflammation of tissues of the heart, brain, or muscles, injury to the kidneys or liver, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), sepsissame complications as 2009 H1N1 influenza, but also includes:
long-haul COVID-19, blood clots, multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C)
Treatmentssupportive care, FDA-approved antiviral medications like oseltamivir (Tamiflu)supportive care, FDA-approved antiviral remdesivir (Veklury), various treatments under Emergency Use Authorization
Vaccinesseveral vaccines developedseveral vaccines developed

Lots of factual detail here:

H1N1 Influenza vs. COVID-19: Pandemic Comparison