Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PLEASE NO VACCINE REQUIREMENT

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

A Vaccination requirement with documentation cannot happen soon enough. Let's get back to "normal"

gsking
Aviator C

"Normal"?  SWA has been flying "normal" planes  since December.   Many of us have been flying "normally" all year,  including the flight crew. 

And that was BEFORE the vaccine.   Now,  if you're vaccinated,  why do you need someone to check your papers? Or the guy next to you? 

No offense, but it seems you haven't really been flying, or thought through this much at all. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

"Normal"?  SWA has been flying "normal" planes  since December.   Many of us have been flying "normally" all year,  including the flight crew. 

And that was BEFORE the vaccine.   Now,  if you're vaccinated,  why do you need someone to check your papers? Or the guy next to you? 

No offense, but it seems you haven't really been flying, or thought through this much at all. 

I wouldn't exactly consider everyone being masked and having only limited cabin service "normal." 😉

We'll only get back to "normal" when the virus can't spread quickly anymore. That will likely be when we've reached some sort of herd immunity, through a significantly large percentage of the population either having had covid and/or being immunized. Vaccine passports are problematic on some levels, but if they help us get there (by encouraging vaccination) I'm all for it. Want to visit Such and Such Place? Negative test or vaccine passport. I have no problem with this.

gsking
Aviator C

We're specifically talking about air travel here.   Using vaccine passports to FORCE people to get vaccinated to travel is problematic,  specifically because it's senseless.   To try to say "well,  it forces people to get vaccinated" is making airlines the enforcement arm of the government.   Not their job, last time I checked.   Why are they specifically being assigned that job?   Why not require a passport to leave your house? 

You have no problem forcing everyone to get vaccinated.   That's a LOT more of an infringement on other people's rights than wearing a mask.

And it literally ignores the logic I mentioned.   

1.  Air travel isn't identified as transmitting the virus. 

2. Vaccinated people don't care about getting it. 

3. Unvaccinated people don't care about getting it. 

Therefore,  literally EVERY SINGLE activity that exists could be identified as "mandatory vaccine".    You must feel air travel is somehow special,  or voluntary? 

If you want to enforce a hammer of mandatory vaccinations,  regardless of the logic,  make the government do it.   Don't make airlines do the dirty work.   

gsking
Aviator C

And when exactly do I start having to get tested for every flight?   I still can't get a vaccine,  unless I play my "essential worker" card.   But there are no open appointments.   Should I bounce some one so I can get priority to keep flying?   What if they get sick? 

Or do i NOW need to start getting tested weekly to fly?   Who's gonna pay for that?   That'll hurt the industry more than it is now. 

Or are you only going to implement these new rules after everyone who wants to get vaccinated has a chance?   Well,  by then,  we're at herd immunity,  aren't we?   And if we're not,  why are you worried about the antivaxxers who get sick?   They certainly won't overwhelm the hospitals, which was the whole point of these restrictions in the first place. 

So we're back to it not making any sense when you think through it.   But the government never does anything logically, they do it based on the emotion and public sentiment of the average citizen who can't think logically. 

Don't feed the beast.  Just say no. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@gsking Where are you located? I live in Oklahoma, and I work in Texas. Both states have more than enough vaccines, and you don't need an appointment anymore. In Oklahoma, you can get one at physician offices and pharmacies. In Houston, you can just stop by NRG stadium and get one without an appointment in your car.

Oklahoma, for gosh sake. I love where I live, but we are a poor, poorly developed states, and the vaccine seems to be flowing in the streets now. The nations have a lot to do with that. They went far beyond just serving their people, and they proved that they care about the community as a whole. From where I sit, the Chickasaw were incredible, and I understand many other tribes were as well.

gsking
Aviator C

California.   No appointments to be found anywhere in my area.   Yes,  they are allegedly available,  but I guess everyone in my area knows how to get on the waiting list. 

As someone recovered from the virus with mild symptoms,  I'm pretty much at the end of the list for people who need to get it. 

gsking
Aviator C

And we forgot... what's the age limit for demanding a vaccine?   The devil's in the details. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-american-epidemic-of-covid-mania-11618871457?mod=e2fb

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@gsking Oklahoma will now vaccinate people regardless of residence. Come visit, and you can get a vaccine. 

gsking
Aviator C

Lol... I'll be in Idaho this weekend.   Maybe they have the same opportunity.