Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PLEASE NO VACCINE REQUIREMENT

Jeffsutt76
Explorer A

Well.. just looked it up again.

The truth is that ONE percent of those that had Covid in the US have died from it.

And, when  you remove all the hospital over reporting for financial reasons, it’s less than that. Far less.

Way past time to stop with the senseless panic promoting. The person sitting next to you might have hepatitis or TB too.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Jeffsutt76 wrote:

Well.. just looked it up again.

The truth is that ONE percent of those that had Covid in the US have died from it.

And, when  you remove all the hospital over reporting for financial reasons, it’s less than that. Far less.

Way past time to stop with the senseless panic promoting. The person sitting next to you might have hepatitis or TB too.

Yep, I am just waiting for the official stats to come out, but I doubt they ever will ... I don't believe any of the reported "COVID death" numbers. Never have. I read an article fairly recently that one county -- just one county in one state -- overcounted their COVID death numbers by 25% when they went back and actually reviewed their own records. Personally, I would apply that 25% at the national level - and maybe even more. Add in the fact that the average age of death is over 80 ...

As I've said from the start, we majorly, majorly overreacted to this, and the fear of catching what is proving to be a mild virus for the vast majority after all (1 in 5 have no symptoms at all, let's remember) has totally taken over people's brains. The reality is that the virus is simply not the killer that the media has portrayed it to be. So many *other* things are contributing to many more deaths because of our reaction to the virus than the virus itself. 

--Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is never, ever going to be a thing - not for US domestic travel, in any event. International travel is a whole other ballgame and I'm not willing to speculate on that, but for domestic US travel? Not going to happen. 

No one can force you to take a vaccine in order to fly. The very idea is lunacy and it isn't going to be implemented. 

--Jessica

Debflyer
Explorer C

Actually it's quite rational.  Yesterday I flew SW and realized that the person coughing and wheezing next to me might not be vaccinated.  I will never do that again.  Vaccines will be required before I fly again, go to a theater or a concert.  You have no freedom to infect in my view, and I think government has adequate authority at all levels to enforce requirements for public health. You don't have the right to drive drunk and you don't have the right to make others sick.

gsking
Aviator C

If you're vaccinated and worried about getting personally sick, you're not being rational.   You're more likely to get struck by lightning than dying of Covid... not to mention the regular flu.   Median age of breakthrough cases is 74.

And if you assume anyone wheezing is both not vaccinated AND has Covid,  you're  making more leaps of faith. 

So yeah,  best stay home.   By my math, you'll never feel safe enough outside in the world.   Get HBO and Doordash and call it good. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

If you're vaccinated and worried about getting personally sick, you're not being rational.   You're more likely to get struck by lightning than dying of Covid... not to mention the regular flu.   Median age of breakthrough cases is 74.

And if you assume anyone wheezing is both not vaccinated AND has Covid,  you're  making more leaps of faith. 

So yeah,  best stay home.   By my math, you'll never feel safe enough outside in the world.   Get HBO and Doordash and call it good. 

Yes! Been saying this from the very beginning. I never thought a mild virus would turn so many people into full-blown hypochondriacs afraid to sit next to another human being for fear of "getting sick". It's remarkable. I think back to the dozens and dozens of concerts I've attended, hundreds and thousands of people at a time, some seated shows and some general admission shows (no seats, shoulder to shoulder with people in a room or outside) - I've never once gotten sick after a show. Not once. Fast forward to today. Now people are afraid to literally go into a restaurant which on average has *maybe* a couple dozen people max, and you don't interact with anyone anyway aside from your own party, the waiter, and the hostess who seats you. And we're quickly going down the path where you have to take a vaccine - again, for a *mild* virus, who cares about all the other diseases though - *and* show proof of it to eat inside? None of it makes any sense at all. I've already seen this happening in Philadelphia - I went out to eat on Friday and Saturday in the city and actually thought I might need to show my vaccine card. Thankfully, I didn't, but I did see a couple of restaurants requiring you to show your card to eat inside, or you have to eat outside. This is wrong. I will be avoiding any place that makes you show your card for service for as long as I can. 

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

LOL at some of the mental gymnastics posted here.

Looking at the insane infection rate in Florida right now, and what it's doing to hospitals there. But somehow still, vaccines are bad. <rollseyes>

I give up. I've lost all my sympathy for the ignorant.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Luckily, it appears that the vast majority of Americans do have a basic understanding of the social contract.

That 20% though... they're the ones messing everything up.

No vaccination? Americans back tough rules and mask mandates to protect the common good

An overwhelming 72%-28% of those surveyed by USA TODAY and Ipsos called mask mandates "a matter of health and safety," not an infringement on personal liberty. By 61%-39%, they endorsed requiring vaccinations except for those with a medical or religious exemption.

By more than 2-1, 70%-30%, Americans agreed that people have the right to choose not to get the vaccine but that they then don't have the right to be around the vaccinated. There was significant support for businesses, employers, colleges, restaurants, airlines and others to bar those who hadn't gotten the shot.

gsking
Aviator C

And likewise,  many of that same vast majority doesn't understand statistics and risk. 

70% of the vaccinated people don't want to be around unvaccinated people?   How many of THOSE would still want everyone tested?   And to still wear a mask?   I'm sure a few do... because that lowers the risk that much more.   (How much they couldn't tell you... but I'm sure they think it's more than the infinitesimal amount it is).  The fringe on BOTH sides aren't working with facts. 

I'm vaccinated and I couldn't care less about what other people do.   The chance of them affecting me is too small for me to worry about.   And I'm certainly not going to demand masked flight attendants be vaccinated, as if they're a particularly critical group.   Social contracts don't need to be that restrictive. 

A large percentage of health care workers decided to avoid vaccination.   Y'all should take your pickaxe to their doors first.   Or maybe consider their logic before you claim you're smarter than they are. 

Ps...be sure to kick a toddler out of the way tomorrow.   They aren't vaccinated.   How dare they show their chubby faces in public!

jksobonya
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

I'm vaccinated and I couldn't care less about what other people do.   The chance of them affecting me is too small for me to worry about.   

In complete agreement.

I find it interesting that a large percentage of healthcare workers are refusing the vaccination (and many are getting laid off/fired as a result of their refusal), and I don't know how true this is but I read that the makers of the vaccines (Pfizer, J&J, etc.) are not mandating their employees to take the vaccine at their own companies. If that's true, it makes you think. 

--Jessica