Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Packpack as checked luggage

Shoffman
Explorer C

I want to bring a 65 Litre size camping backpack and I am concerned about damage.

What does Southwest recomend for checking-in packpacks?

Are there any shipping provisions that Southwest offers for packpacks, like shrink-rap or a reqcomended box or container?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Packpack as checked luggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Shoffman wrote:

I want to bring a 65 Litre size camping backpack and I am concerned about damage.

What does Southwest recomend for checking-in packpacks?

Are there any shipping provisions that Southwest offers for packpacks, like shrink-rap or a reqcomended box or container?

I don't know that Southwest provides the packing material, but I've heard some airports have material available or else a shipping store could sell you the items to pack it.

I think you are headed in the right direction though, if the backpack has any straps or cords that could become caught in the baggage handling apparatus then you would definitely want to secure it.

If the structure of the backpack was subject to damage then you'd consider boxing it in some way or getting one of the Southwest $15 blue bags. (IIRC @chgoflyer said these were now $17?). 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Packpack as checked luggage

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

If the structure of the backpack was subject to damage then you'd consider boxing it in some way or getting one of the Southwest $15 blue bags. (IIRC @chgoflyer said these were now $17?). 

It wasn't me, but they are $17. 😉

Optional Travel Charges