Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passenger No Showed a Flight. Are there any options.

TonyaMarie
Explorer C

I am trying to find out if there are any options for a SWABIZ corporate account where the company had a candidate traveling and the traveler did not get the flight cancelled in time. Are there any options like paying a fee to open the ticket for future use? any options at all to a corporate account to not foreit the entire ticket? Thank you in advance. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Passenger No Showed a Flight. Are there any options.

franktravel
Aviator B

Looks like.. No show policy only applies only to Wana Get Away fares.  You may be in luck!!!

I would call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA. 

No Show Policy - If you are not planning to travel on any portion of your itinerary, please cancel or change your reservation at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure of the flight. Customers who fail to cancel or change their reservations at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure or fail to board their flight(s) on any Wanna Get Away fare segment are subject to our No Show Policy. Additionally, the entire reservation including any remaining flights on the ticketed itinerary will also be cancelled and all funds from the “No Show” reservation will be forfeited and may not be used or applied toward future ticket purchases. Reservations booked using Rewards points, Companion passes, and Reward seats are not included in this policy.

TonyaMarie
Explorer C

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately it was a Wanna Get Away fare. I was hoping there was a corporate "exception" I was over looking that would allow a company to pay a fee to unsuspend the ticket like most of the other airlines. 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @TonyaMarie,

There are no SWABIZ exception to the No-Show Policy. If there's a high likelihood that a Customer will need to make last-minute changes to his/her schedule, we recommend purchasing an Anytime or Business Select Fare, which offers flexibility and is fully refundable. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Note that a major policy change, effective for all travel after May 9, 2017, can effectively make Anytime or Business Select fares no longer fully refundable.

If you make any change to a refundable fare itinerary, it becomes non-refundable.

In order to reserve refundability, you must cancel and rebook, not change.

This is a huge, customer unfriendly policy change that I suspect will trip up many -- especially business travelers.

😞

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Note that a major policy change, effective for all travel after May 9, 2017, can effectively make Anytime or Business Select fares no longer fully refundable.

If you make any change to a refundable fare itinerary, it becomes non-refundable.

In order to reserve refundability, you must cancel and rebook, not change.

This is a huge, customer unfriendly policy change that I suspect will trip up many -- especially business travelers.

😞

I had done this a couple of times (not ususually getting BS fares except last minute anyway) but hadn't realized the policy change. Luckily I didn't end up needing to refund them, but I had been under the perception that they were if necessary.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, no -- Southwest enforces the No-Show policy essentially without exception. (Assuming it was a non-refundable fare, and not a points booking.)

IBancroft
Explorer C

What about in the instance of a family emergency or medical condition for a SWABIZ customer? Are there any exceptions in those cases and if so, is any documentation required for proof of the emergency or illness?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

My understanding is that the no-show policy is enforced with zero tolerance. That said, it may be worth contacting Customer Relations regarding your specific situation, to see if there is any chance any exception could possibly be made. It's unlikely, but good luck.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I agree with the suggestion about calling customer relations.

If you were dealing with a medical emergency (yours or someone elses) you certainly had other things to think about than your upcoming flight. I'd try that tact in your discussion.

I believe that the phone number is 855-234-4654. I've only caled it once in the 40 years that I've flown Southwest, and in that sample size of one they were responsive.

Good luck.