Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passenger Safety

jcdalglish
Explorer C

What possible reason could Southwest Airlines have for NOT requiring their employees to be vaccinated? Do they have a death wish? Are they trying to discourage air travel? I have a flight booked soon, and I'm very concerned that SWA is not taking every measure possible to protect their passengers.

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Passenger Safety

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Very few companies have taken the approach of mandating vaccines.  You are welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest.

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

I certainly have. I’m up there, fully masked, as mandated, in a sealed tube packed in with 140 other pax and SWA staff for a number of hours every single week. They aren’t even doing regular service still! We just got COFFEE like six weeks ago.

How long are we gonna do this for? Southwest should be taking the lead on it. The science is clear, the law is clear. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

I certainly have. I’m up there, fully masked, as mandated, in a sealed tube packed in with 140 other pax and SWA staff for a number of hours every single week. They aren’t even doing regular service still! We just got COFFEE like six weeks ago.

How long are we gonna do this for? Southwest should be taking the lead on it. The science is clear, the law is clear. 

The chances of getting the virus on a plane are exceedingly small.

During the height of the pandemic earlier this year the DOD did a study which revealed that flight attendants had a lower rate of infection than the general public - and flight attendants spend almost their entire work days on planes.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

Sure, and the mandated masking is a massive part of that. It would be great if we got to a place where we all didn’t have to wear masks on the plane. (Or, you know, get a cranberry juice or a Ginger ale.) Vaccines are the way forward on that. Southwest is punting, and it looks pathetic given everything that us passengers have had to put up with while flying the last couple years.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

During the height of the pandemic earlier this year the DOD did a study which revealed that flight attendants had a lower rate of infection than the general public - and flight attendants spend almost their entire work days on planes.

That study was done prior to the delta variant.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

I didn't say it was done after the variant was id'ed

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

I didn't say it was done after the variant was id'ed

I didn't say you did. 😉

My point is that the study is less valid now due to the highly contagious nature of the delta variant.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Very few companies have taken the approach of mandating vaccines.  You are welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest.

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

The number of companies mandating vaccination is increasing rapidly.

Covid vaccine mandates sweep across corporate America as delta variant spurs action

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jcdalglish wrote:

What possible reason could Southwest Airlines have for NOT requiring their employees to be vaccinated? Do they have a death wish? Are they trying to discourage air travel? I have a flight booked soon, and I'm very concerned that SWA is not taking every measure possible to protect their passengers.

To answer your question: The reason is political. Southwest is headquartered in Texas.