Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passport

jennyraeb
Explorer C

Hi so I’m planning a trip this year (2023) at the end of July to go to Cancun. I’ll be getting my passport next week. I’ve been reading about a 6 month passport rule and I’m wondering if I’ll be denied flying if my passport is too new to travel?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Passport

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Too new? There's no such thing. Some countries do not allow you to enter if your passport will expire within 6 months of your arrival into the country. That's the 6 month rule you've heard of. 

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you or anyone else is interested, this site allows you to see the requirements for every country. If you search for Mexico you will see they only require the passport be valid upon arrival.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Informa...

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I assume that you mean a US passport.  They are good for 10 years.

If it has recently been renewed, it is as valid as they come.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy the OP said nothing about renewing

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Said nothing about it being a US passport either, so there you go...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy my response is not US specific and applies to all countries as the 6 month rule the OP asked about is based on the country traveling to, not from.  All passports are valid immediately.  So there you go...

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Not "all" passports are valid immediately.  Some are revoked by the country of issue.